Pioneer Kuvo - metadata scraper + promotional tool
    Tech Guru

Default Pioneer Kuvo - metadata scraper + promotional tool

This is pretty interesting. Using rekordbox you can tag your songs with unique information along with the normal items such as artist and track information. Kuvo will keep track of the times the song is played along with other information such as the club name, Dj name etc by using a embedded box at the venue location.

Seems like a great idea, check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAyFJ6155Gg#t=53

At first, I really had some eyebrows raised about it, but now that I think about it, it's actually pretty neat. Provided that it's integrated at a player level, and doesn't require much manual performance input, it's basically a giant shoutcasting/track-scraping network built into every modern CDJ. At least that's my understanding of it. Seems like a really easy step to bringing live DJs into the streaming/shoutcasting crowd, without too much hassle.

Tech Guru

It is a box that is installed between the mixer and the PA if I am reading into this correctly.

Tech Guru

The box is only needed if you don't have a laptop running Rekordbox.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

So if someone has the box installed it automatically can read encoded data in the music?

I ask because if radio stations and or online streaming sites want to install the box inline with their backend.

Tech Guru

I would guess that you need to be using music played from a Rekordbox database (on USB, SD, or computer).
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

I've been going back and forth on this at work all day, and I think this is brilliant. Pioneer has managed to take a bit of pretty standard technology and turn it into an exclusive social network that has several possible revenue streams. This takes the ideas that Minus had and not only expands on the possibilities, but allows them to be monetized in a way that is most likely transparent to the normal user.

Pretty smart.

Default Some answers

Quote Originally Posted by GeekGod View Post
    It is a box that is installed between the mixer and the PA if I am reading into this correctly.
    The box connects to the Pioneer ProDJ Link and the internet only. The ProDJ Link is the network that connects the CDJs and mixers together so they can share tracks and data with each other. The box simply transmits whatever track Metadata is written in the ID3 tag. The ProDJ Link knows what track is playing, because of the On Air function, so the track ID is only sent when the mixer firmware confirms there's an output on the master and that it's coming from the correct player ID on the corresponding mixer channel.

makar1: the box is needed at all times, however rekordbox is not essential. You can register for the kuvo service independently, download an ID file and put that on your USB or SD Card alongside your MP3s, so when you play on the CDJs, it will transmit the data for the gateway box to pick up and match with your Kuvo registered account. rekordbox can be connected directly to the ProDJ Link LAN network and play music directly from your Hard Drive, and if you login with your Kuvo account in rekordbox 2.2, then it does this automatically. You can opt in or out, or make some track private. Also it exports the ID file for you when you make a USB library with rekordbox.

GeekGod: this is perfect for radio stations that want an automatic way to broadcast track info to their listeners, but currently they must use Kuvo App or website, there's no API currently to broadcast the track info to your website, etc. Also, with rekordbox, it automatically creates a History Playlist that you can export as txt file, etc, which makes setlists, or reporting very easy.

Tech Guru

Yeah this does seem like a great idea. I hope it catches on!