Quick PA Question

Default Quick PA Question

Hey all!! Looking to finally buy my own small PA for house parties (whether I buy my lights or this first who knows.) and I need some advice.

I'm want to start with one Behringer EUROLIVE B1800D-PRO subwoofer and three (two mains and one in the booth) Behringer EUROLIVE B215D cabinets. I get the Behringer EUROLIVE B215D's for pretty cheap (like 270$ CAD per cabinet) from my job. There's a lot of mixed talk on these cabs. I hear everything from the highest praise to the worst down talking of any PA.

I'd top this off with the Behringer XENYX 1202 mixer. It's small and gives me tons of options and costs about the same where I live as other models.

So that comes to: 1K for the sub, 800 for the mains and 100 for the mixer so about $2,000 total. Is this good for the price?
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Tech Mentor

"Behringer" and "house party" is a match made in heaven. They're the perfect company when you need something that isn't gonna break the bank, but is gonna make everyone who doesn't know anything about sound systems be like "damn, this is an awesome house party!"

Behringer used to be on par with Pyle/Pyramid/lowest-of-the-low. Since they switched to Toshiba parts for their internal electronics, their reliability has improved noticeably. If you're looking for most bang for the buck, it's hard to overlook Behringer.

If you're trying to keep the cost down, you can likely switch the 215Ds for some 212Ds or 210Ds. With an 18" sub at a house party, the mains will simply be handling the mids and highs if you EQ/crossover correctly, which means 15" mains are a bit overkill. Regardless of what you go with, that subwoofer alone is likely to get the cops called.

Have fun!
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    "Behringer" and "house party" is a match made in heaven. They're the perfect company when you need something that isn't gonna break the bank, but is gonna make everyone who doesn't know anything about sound systems be like "damn, this is an awesome house party!"

Behringer used to be on par with Pyle/Pyramid/lowest-of-the-low. Since they switched to Toshiba parts for their internal electronics, their reliability has improved noticeably. If you're looking for most bang for the buck, it's hard to overlook Behringer.

If you're trying to keep the cost down, you can likely switch the 215Ds for some 212Ds or 210Ds. With an 18" sub at a house party, the mains will simply be handling the mids and highs if you EQ/crossover correctly, which means 15" mains are a bit overkill. Regardless of what you go with, that subwoofer alone is likely to get the cops called.

Have fun!
    Thank you friend! This is a major vote of confidence!

I'm going to go the for the 15's for a few reasons. If I don't have or am in a place where I can't bring my sub for any reason, it'll still sound decent and if I'm some where I can, I can just EQ it as such. Also, with my staff privileges at my job there is little to no price diff between the sizes.

Thanks so much for your feedback man! Is there anyone else who could weigh in on these as well?

Tech Guru

Look at the B52 Matrix 1000v2 system. It is about $1k out the door, and a better sounding system than the Behringer system. The Behringer is certainly up to the task.

+1 on the suggestion to use 10" or 12" tops with the sub. If you don't need/use the sub, the 10" or 12" top will still be good enough.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Look at the B52 Matrix 1000v2 system. It is about $1k out the door, and a better sounding system than the Behringer system. The Behringer is certainly up to the task.

+1 on the suggestion to use 10" or 12" tops with the sub. If you don't need/use the sub, the 10" or 12" top will still be good enough.
    As much as I love the Matrix B52, there is no one near me that carries it and forget about shipping one here.

I'll probably go 12" then, seems to be a good idea by a landslide.

Would y'all suggest 12" or 15" for my monitor tho?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    I'll probably go 12" then, seems to be a good idea by a landslide.
    There is not enough difference in the response between a 10" and 12" for you to hear/know/care about. In the >100Hz range, the overall response will be nearly identical. As long as you are running at "8" or less...get the smaller, lighter, cheaper cabinet.

Would y'all suggest 12" or 15" for my monitor tho?
    I'd suggest headphones for monitoring.

There is not enough difference in the response between a 10" and 12" for you to hear/know/care about. In the >100Hz range, the overall response will be nearly identical. As long as you are running at "8" or less...get the smaller, lighter, cheaper cabinet.
    12" is the smallest I can get on my discount, so 12" it is.

I'd suggest headphones for monitoring.
    Nono, monitoring, not cueing.

Tech Guru

Nono, monitoring, not cueing.
    I got you the first time....and you should still use headphones.

Monitors are useful for live musicians to hear a SUBSET of the full mix....perhaps just their instrument, their vocals, and one of the rhythm instruments to help keep time.

Monitors for DJs are only useful if the booth is REALLY removed from the main listening area, for instance if the booth is in a crows nest overlooking the club.

You are buying a system for a house party, and playing pre-recorded music. So...neither of those situations applies to you.

Using headphones will give you the best overall impression of the final mix that is heading into the room. Adding a monitor is just adding another "main" speaker into a small space. When it's on loud enough for you to hear clearly, it is more than loud enough to alter the mix and balance of sound in the room for everyone else.

I got you the first time....and you should still use headphones.

Monitors are useful for live musicians to hear a SUBSET of the full mix....perhaps just their instrument, their vocals, and one of the rhythm instruments to help keep time.

Monitors for DJs are only useful if the booth is REALLY removed from the main listening area, for instance if the booth is in a crows nest overlooking the club.

You are buying a system for a house party, and playing pre-recorded music. So...neither of those situations applies to you.

Using headphones will give you the best overall impression of the final mix that is heading into the room. Adding a monitor is just adding another "main" speaker into a small space. When it's on loud enough for you to hear clearly, it is more than loud enough to alter the mix and balance of sound in the room for everyone else.
    Fair enough. I'll buy a third 12" in case, but will definitely take your advice on that too!

Tech Wizard

Why not Altos? I have them and love them!