Recording audio volume is too low.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Recording audio volume is too low.

Hey all, so I have 2 cdj's and a mixer which is hooked up to KRK 8's and the 10s sub, the mixer is a DJM 200 and I have the master 2 going to an external USB sound card, here is the thing, it seems like my master level is extremely low, I have to crank up the volume so much that I would have to blow up my room to get a proper signal to send to my laptop for recording. The signals coming from the CDJ's are fine, but the master on my mixer is just barely flashing 2 green led's on the meter (whatever it's called...) Right now I have the line in dialed up all the way on the sound card and the signal is just barely coming in, and there is an annoying white noise underneath it. Does anyone know what could be the problem here? I'm using an audio track in ableton to record.

Tech Guru

Turn your speakers down and your master level up.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

They are already turned way down that is kind of the issue. I can barely put my sub on over 3/10th of the volume or the bass is just crazy

are you sure the input volume is set correctly in your audio settings menu?

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

This is where an AUX or Booth Out would really help you. When I record from my DJM-909, I have the master low as well (BX8 D2 Monitors) but adjust the Session Out to the proper level for recording (usually about 75%-80% up).

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Han View Post
    are you sure the input volume is set correctly in your audio settings menu?
    Yeah it's pretty much on max, I really don't know why the signal is so low... could it be the soundcard or something?

it sounds like the problem is at the mixer. You said the master only gets up to few bars of green? Turn the gains up on the CDJs. How does the mixer sound through the headphones?

Did Pioneer ever make a DJM 200?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Booth out ftw. It can be tricky recording sometimes, when i record others using cdjs etc, i use audition through my audio 6, you need to find a good balance of volume and recording level. in your case as mentioned above, best bet is to get your main level up to 3/4 and go from there. Easy enough if you use traktor, other apps are a different story
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    it sounds like the problem is at the mixer. You said the master only gets up to few bars of green? Turn the gains up on the CDJs. How does the mixer sound through the headphones?

Did Pioneer ever make a DJM 200?
    Oh sorry it's the 400, and the CDJ's are coming in fine, gained in so they are just hitting yellow, the problem is at the master, which I can turn up all I want but the meter is hardly showing signal.

PS:
    Sorry to sound stupid but booth out? My mixer has 2 master outputs (the red/white cable forgot the english name for them), this what you mean by booth out?

Tech Guru

It is possible that the "Master 2" output is lower output than "Master 1". Try swapping the speakers & recording cables on the Master 1 & 2 outputs. This test will show if there is a substantial difference in the output levels between Master 1 & Master 2.

Also, on a typical computer, there are SEVERAL places to set the input gain for recording. Be sure that you have checked them all. In particular, check the OS level input and the Recording Software level input. There may also be a physical control on the soundcard...you don't mention the model so I can't look it up.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast