AutoGain & Bitrates - ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Phorte View Post
    for the sake of future proofing (eg. going from bedroom dj'ing into playing outside the bedroom), please keep bitrates at a MINIMUM at 192kbps. i absolutely cringe whenever i hear 128kbps because the dynamics are so shot that it sounds horrible.

personally, i wouldnt agree with this. on SHITTY computer speakers (eg. 2.1 altec lansings from any comp store that can be had for <$80), it is quite easy to tell the difference between 128kbps and 192kbps. even more so with headphones. imo, the difference is close to day n night!

not until recently when i upgraded my audio interface and got a set of monitors (event tr8's) can i now easily tell the difference between 192kbps and 320kbps.

but for the average punter, please please keep your standard mp3 at 192kbps as a minimum. anything more than that would be great.
    what if your whole set consisted of all your tracks being 128 ? ...would people still be able to tell? you'd be mixing 128's into 128's with no real sound difference?

i duno. just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky_Laws View Post
    what if your whole set consisted of all your tracks being 128 ? ...would people still be able to tell? you'd be mixing 128's into 128's with no real sound difference?

i duno. just a thought.
    If the person who mixed before you was using decent quality and you went there would be hell to pay haha 128 is just a no go zone sorry and yes people would notice... atleast id like to think they would haha

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Honestly, if you EQ it right, it can be done. I wouldn't recommend it, by any stretch of the imagination, but if you can push it the right way it'd work
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

be cool, be safe, be 320 ;]

Tech Convert

yes ppl would tell if you played 128kbps. the dynamics that are lost in the poor bitrates is considerable.. yes, you can eq it but there's only so much polishing you can do to a turd.

lets be honest here - a lot of you download your music off the net (of course, with the intention to then go and buy it legally). ripping groups have kept mp3 releases as 192kbps as a standard for over 5 years now. these days, most are doing it at 320kbps, let alone FLAC.

with high bandwidth internet access as well as extremely cheap storage options, there is no reason that you would be playing with 128kbps mp3's.

disclaimer: pirating mp3's is wrong. you should be buying the music and supporting the artist and industry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12