What does a DJ need?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What does a DJ need?

Okay I have been djing at house parties lately but I want to move onto something bigger like night clubs and stuff, I don't want to attempt a night club and embarrass myself just yet so I was wondering on what equipment I need to become a better DJ/Producer. At the moment I use Virtual DJ Pro on my laptop and I connect my Numark Mixtrack Pro up to that. I use fruity loops studio to produce music. I was wondering on what other equipment I need to help me DJ and produce. Any recommended ones would be great!

You need to know and 'feel' your music to become a better dj. Develop your own style to mix your tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Diskobeep View Post
    You need to know and 'feel' your music to become a better dj. Develop your own style to mix your tracks.
    A lot of people don't do it for the music anymore, so that might be tough.

Taste, style and maybe a donor's liver in a couple of years.....
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Don't know where you live or what the club setups around you have, but likely you need some familiarity with Pioneer CDJs and probably Pioneer mixers, or familiarity with Pioneer CDJ's and I believe a controller that has timecode capabilities along with software that does as well. (not sure if Virtual DJ has this ability)

As far as production, you can use FL studio, but some good monitors are pretty necessary or at least good, flat headphones.

Condoms

Tech Guru

A solid collection of music that you know well.

In terms of gear. Find out what the clubs in your area are using and/or what is the most practical solution for you.
    All you need is a device/s that lets you mix two tracks together and some speakers for practice.
    Last edited by LoopCat; 10-31-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Tech Guru

When you're DJ'n at good clubs, you're basically almost always using their equipment. Usually consists of a pair of CDJ's (1000's possibly, 900's, or 2000's most likely) a pair of Technics 1200 turntables, and a either Pioneer mixer (DJM800 or 900) or a Rane mixer (TTM57SL or 62). List can vary a little bit depending on where you live, but those are the basic club standards. So you're basically bringing headphones, music (laptop, USB stick, CD's, vinyl, etc), possibly needles if you use vinyl, possibly timecode cd's or vinyl if you're using timecode, maybe an audio interface, and some other small accessories, but you get the point.

Key to playing regularly at a real club isn't as easy as purchasing professional club gear, or even becoming familiar with using club standard gear (it is necessary though). Having good experience DJ'n, playing out for crowds at bars and what not on a regular basis, making a name for yourself on social media, making connections in the business that can get you a shot at playing at a bigger venue, and making the most out of that chance you are given is ultimately is most likely the key to landing you some regular work at big clubs. It's not hard to get to that point, but it does take time, and most people aren't willing to put the time in.

Can't really comment much on any of your questions regarding production. Producers that "DJ" is a whole different game.

Get a used set of Cdjs cheap and learn To beat match with them. Most clubs have them installed from my experience.
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

bit*hes and hunnys
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast