I want to start DJ'ing...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default I want to start DJ'ing...

Hello forumers,

EDM is my passion. I try to make it, and have been working off and on for roughly a year. I listen to almost exclusively EDM. I want to start mixing music, and eventually start pounding out tracks.

Can you please help me pick a controller? Spending range is 600 max.
    I am having a hard time deciding what setup to buy.

Looking at:

Numark NS6
    Numark N4
    Numark 4TRAK
    Numark Mixtrack Pro II
    Numark Mixtrack Quad

Traktor Kontrol S2
    Traktor Kontrol S2 MKII
    Traktor Kontrol S4
    Traktor Kontrol S4 MKII

Behringer CMD4A

Pioneer DDJ-SR

I will mainly be mixing electronic music (Electro house, trap, dubstep). Any tips?

Thanks!

EDIT: I really like Traktor over Serato as it just seems more friendly to me.

EDIT 2: A friend has hooked me up with a Pioneer DDJ-SR for ~$400. So now I am considering that and taking up Serato instead, that is, if it works well with EDM.

Edit 3: Turns out my friend was confused and it is a DDJ-S1, used. I might just go the Traktor route and get a S4 mk2.
    Last edited by jwei92; 11-05-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Adding software preference; offer

Tech Convert

Hi! Of them, go for the s4! It has a good reputation, and if you search through the forum(as you should do in this case, before posting) you can see that you can grow with the S4 for many years to come. Have fun learning. Focus on enjoying yourself and the music

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by b0lstad View Post
    Hi! Of them, go for the s4! It has a good reputation, and if you search through the forum(as you should do in this case, before posting) you can see that you can grow with the S4 for many years to come. Have fun learning. Focus on enjoying yourself and the music
    Is the only benefit of the S4 4 channels/decks?

If I know I won't be needing that many for a while, will the S2 (old one, not the MK2 be fine)? Or does the S4 still have new things. I know my budget is 600, but I'd prefer to spend less on my first setup so that if I don't like it, I won't be spending too much.

First decide which software (Traktor, Serato, VDJ, etc) you prefer by using/comparing demo versions. That will narrow your choices a bit.
    Also budget for a good pair of headphones if you don't already own some.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    First decide which software (Traktor, Serato, VDJ, etc) you prefer by using/comparing demo versions. That will narrow your choices a bit.
    Also budget for a good pair of headphones if you don't already own some.
    I have a pair of V-Moda Crossfade LP2's and ATH-M50's.

I've looked at Traktor and it seems like the effects are more to my liking.

What I was thinking was to cheap out and get a Mixtrack Pro 2 to see if I like it, and then later sell it to get a bigger setup or something. The problem with that was I'd get accustomed to Serato, but if that be the case, then so be it. It's just that most of the tables I think I listed were built for Traktor.

For edm id say Traktor , i dont know if its just me but i feel traktor is better all round software but thats probably the same for the 50% that use serato... Anyhow

I have a 4trak and i found that its actually extremely creative if you get or create you own mapping for it..

Tech Convert

I've been using the Traktor S4 for over a year and it has really been great for me. Since you already say you lean towards the Traktor software and you are into the electronic music thing, then I feel that is the best way to go. It lets me do pretty much everything I need it to and it has also been pretty durable for me even when people are spilling liquids on it... hah. I don't recommend letting that happen, though...

Although I have tried other software and CDJ's and stuff I haven't REALLY worked with them, but with my experience with Native Instruments and Traktor I feel you definitely can't go wrong with the S4. I also tend to find that people who are interested in mixing more hip-hop go the Serato way. Get the MK II btw, no reason not to.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Nverno View Post
    I've been using the Traktor S4 for over a year and it has really been great for me. Since you already say you lean towards the Traktor software and you are into the electronic music thing, then I feel that is the best way to go. It lets me do pretty much everything I need it to and it has also been pretty durable for me even when people are spilling liquids on it... hah. I don't recommend letting that happen, though...

Although I have tried other software and CDJ's and stuff I haven't REALLY worked with them, but with my experience with Native Instruments and Traktor I feel you definitely can't go wrong with the S4. I also tend to find that people who are interested in mixing more hip-hop go the Serato way. Get the MK II btw, no reason not to.
    I was thinking of getting the S2 MKII..

But I have a friend who will hook me up with a Pioneer DDJ-SR for 400, so I'm also looking at Serato.

Tech Mentor

At that price I'd go with the SR too, but I really prefer traktor so much more, it's so much more midi customizable and I just like the UI better than the monotone Serato one. That and I prefer the addon controllers that Native Instruments puts out like the F1.

Hello jwei92, welcome to the DJ Tech Tools forums.

Like VanGogo said, pick DJing software first. In my opinion, Traktor and Serato are the best which are what the big DJs tend to use. As for controllers, Numark Mixtrack Pro is what I use and what I've been using for nearly 3 years, I'm not sure what the Mixtrack Pro II is like but I'm sure it is fairly similair. The Mixtrack Pro is very beginner friendly, which is what I started on. However, looking at your list, it's probably better to start on the Traktor S4 or Traktor S2 (which probably means you will be using Traktor DJing software). Like b0lstad said, it has a really good reputation and it is probably the best on the market. However, the Traktor S2 is more portable than the S4, if you're looking to play out rather than just being a bedroom DJ, and it is a little bit cheaper. Although I don't really see a clear description of you wanting to produce music, if you learn how to produce music first, you will have a better understanding of DJing all together. Some users on DJ Tech Tools may disagree, but reading on various forums and websites like Digital DJ Tips, a lot of people would agree with me. Another thing, if you want be up there as a DJ, you've got to produce your tracks, of course you can make it big just being a DJ, but people want tracks! Finally, don't just talk about it, fucking do it. If you really want it, you are gonna do it. No talking bull shit, just do it. This is the best advice some one has ever given me, and it works in pretty much all situations.

I hope I was to some help. Feel free to message me on Facebook if you need any help. I can mentor you if you want and kind of "teach you the ways" and also help with some music production stuff. If you are interested, here is my Facebook page: Daily Crisis and you can message me.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast