Traktor TSI file management - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

"I see" said the blind man. Well sorry to rub it in then. Haha

To make you feel a little better XM will not sort by comments, or show them in the commands list. Which kinda sucks.

EDIT: XM does show and sort comments since version 1.3
    Last edited by VanGogo; 11-22-2013 at 04:46 PM.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

I think I could live with that I hardly use comments anyway but possibility to mark and edit multiple commands is pure gold.

I can't do without the comments, makes sorting and finding what I need a lot easier, and helps me keep my head around what's going on in the mapping. I'd get lost with out them.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

It's called organization. I mainly keep all of commands in big groups and I use a comment only to recognize what each group is set for in there. Pretty much reading the modifier conditions to locate a specific parameter. After more than ten years of mappings it's like looking in the Matrix (God mode on)

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    It's called organization. I mainly keep all of commands in big groups and I use a comment only to recognize what each group is set for in there. Pretty much reading the modifier conditions to locate a specific parameter. After more than ten years of mappings it's like looking in the Matrix (God mode on)
    And yet it's a monolithic, non-searchable list. Searching is possible (and has been possible since forever) even in Notepad. Three comment fields would allow more sophisticated tagging and sorting. A search function would greatly enhance the user experience in the mappings manager (as long as it supports partial-word and out-of-order searches like, say, Winamp).

Like I said, human-readable TSI files is the easiest way to fix this problem. Contrary to what I thought, the mappings section of a TSI file is not encrypted, it just uses some simple encoding scheme which I managed to crack last week in 5 minutes. However, it's not so easy to reverse-engineer the structure of the data, even after decoding it. Maybe I'll give it a go over Christmas....

what did you use to crack it? I'm pretty good with javascript and RegExp but no nothing about encryption.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    XM will not sort by comments, or show them in the commands list. Which kinda sucks.
    It actually does that... just use View > Show Table column > Comment in the top menu, the Comment is shown on the right end of the table and cliking on the header lets you sort mappings by comment

You are correct sir. Thanks for showing me the way

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    what did you use to crack it? I'm pretty good with javascript and RegExp but no nothing about encryption.
    You can use Notepad++ and it's built-in Base64 encoder-decoder plugin, as detailed here.

Of course, being able to change an existing mapping or two is one thing, but reverse-engineering the structure of a TSI file is a much bigger task. Today I was trying to have a go at it, but I don't know where to begin, and it seems like a lot of hassle (although the benefits would be substantial).

IMO NI make some of the best music software around, but just cannot understand some of their policies and design decisions. Not providing a way to copy/paste and merge sections of a mapping is just nuts. It completely discourages users from coming up with cool new mappings. The power is there, but it's not easy to access.

I've started working (this is an understatement) on a new mapping for my BCR2000 three days ago, the controller manager still hasn't improved at all since my previous post. Even if they don't overhaul it, having at least TWO comment fields (not just one) for typing in flags such as "done" or "test" would be super useful. Having at least three conditions instead of just the two we have now would also add flexibility to our mappings (two makes it very tricky to create pages on a Launchpad as it always sends on MIDI port 1). Group copy/paste/delete would be also great, as mentioned before. It's really disappointing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast