Ableton/Serato...2010!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Ableton/Serato...2010!

Looks like the partnership will be unveiled at NAMM January 14th.

I'm stoked!!! At first glance I thought I would not convert to Serato. Since the first anouncment and trying to get better linking between Traktor and Ableton, I will be very excited to see whats in store with this deal.

If there is super sync funtionality, and hopfully the ability to scratch Ableton Clips, me and Traktor will be breaking up for good!

Hell yes. I can't wait.
    Serato Scratch Live 2.3 | SL3

Traktor Pro 2 | Audio 6, Audio 2

A&H Xone 02 | Technics SL-1200MK2

The only thing i think is interesting about this deal is the ability to use Serato Timecode, everything else is kind of a joke. Serato needs Ableton waaaaaaay more than Ableton needs Serato.

Max4Live is something that is going to be much nicer to look forward towards i think. There is still a hell of a lot that remains to be seen with these announcements though - as always time will tell !

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Im a bit confused really.
    I mean i get Serato. Thats all nice and that.
    I get Ableton , thats a different kinda program for Djing.

Im not convinced that people would want to 'scratch ableton clips' would they. Isnt the point of Ableton to break things apart and make new crazy complex shit.
    Most of the DJs i see use Ableton cant even mix/scratch/dj they just play, which is fine dont get me wrong i couldnt care less how someone makes music just as long as its good.

Convince me. Seriously , im not knowledgeable when it comes to Ableton.
    How is this gonna work and who is this gonna be aimed at?

[i am not being a Traktor fanboi, im seriously looking for Info]
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 10-02-2009 at 12:50 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Serato needs Ableton waaaaaaay more than Ableton needs Serato.

Mos Definately!

I really wish NI would make Traktor a plug and these 2 had nice sync options.

However if this partnership turns into scratching clips, or Ableton controlling the BPM on my timecode vinyls "beat grid" or whatever Serato uses, plus the ability to use any plugs directly on the deck etc, that will rock. Now adding the M4L to retrieve signals from that and alter video images and other parameters or whatever, that will be insane. Granted most Serato DJ's I know couldn't care less about Ableton. But some of these guys out here are going to F it up when this stuff finally gets banged out.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post

Im not convinced that people would want to 'scratch ableton clips' would they. Isnt the point of Ableton to break things apart and make new crazy shit.
    Most of the DJs i see use Ableton cant even mix/scratch/dj they just play, which is fine dont get me wrong i couldnt care less how someone makes music just as long as its good.

I was gonna add some of those points in my previous post. I'm not knocking DJ's by this statement, I just dont know many wether they are using Ableton Traktor or Serato, that would really care or take the time to utilize the possibilities that may be in store here. HOWEVER there are guys out there doing much more than DJing and they will put a new spin on it for sure.

Personally I am just into the idea that I could consolidate, and personalize my Ableton set up in a way that made playing music more interactive and fun for me. Most people watching have no idea whats going on in my world. But I do, and thats why it would appeal to me. I wanna have as much fun with my gear as allowed.

I'm not sure who it will be aimed at, but once you see some guys who are going to be ballz out with some cool new tricks, they will turn heads. I mean sure there are a current stock of DJ's and laptop music makers as we speak, by the millions! It's the kids who haven't got into highschool yet that will be splitting wigs in 2 or 3 years. The ones without jobs who stay at home and have the drive and gusto to constantly practice and innovate.

Quote Originally Posted by JuanSOLO View Post
    Mos Definately!

I really wish NI would make Traktor a plug and these 2 had nice sync options.

However if this partnership turns into scratching clips, or Ableton controlling the BPM on my timecode vinyls "beat grid" or whatever Serato uses, plus the ability to use any plugs directly on the deck etc, that will rock. Now adding the M4L to retrieve signals from that and alter video images and other parameters or whatever, that will be insane. Granted most Serato DJ's I know couldn't care less about Ableton. But some of these guys out here are going to F it up when this stuff finally gets banged out.
    What Traktor needs is a Max4Live object and some options on the NI soundcards for better audio routing, that will give Serato/Ableton a run for their money for sure !

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post

Im not convinced that people would want to 'scratch ableton clips' would they. Isnt the point of Ableton to break things apart and make new crazy shit.

The problem with Ableton currently is that its a drastically different approach to Djing than the traditional approach - theres alot of traditional dj techniques (like scratching, beatjuggling) that cant be done with Ableton alone.

Then you have Serato that has a huuuuge big list of stuff you cant do that you can do in Ableton which is a drastically different approach to DJing and live performance.

What the Serato Ableton conjunction does is promise to help combine these two different approaches to live music / djing into a single performance - which is defiantly where things should be headed and to be honest i dont know why we arnt there yet.

If your using controllers though i have a strong feeling that Max 4 Live is going to allow us to do this sort of thing anyway, throw MsPinky into the mix or a Max4Live patch that decodes vinyl timecode and were going to be able to do what the Serato/Ableton collaboration promises us anyway. Hence why the Serato Ableton colab doesnt excite me anywhere remotely near as much as Max4Live does.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    What Traktor needs is a Max4Live object and some options on the NI soundcards for better audio routing, that will give Serato/Ableton a run for their money for sure !
    Maybe we will se some of that with the Reaktor 6 stuff. Seems to me Reaktor is supposed to be NI's Max??? Maybe they will make all of thier software completely intergradeable. I'm amazed I cant use a Reaktor ens. as an effect directly inside Traktor, or Guitar Rig.

I haven't use Mrs Pinky. I was on the site the other day wondering what I was missing. I know I can use it as a plug. But your right, M4L should make just about anything possible. There's an ensamble in the Reaktor UL that converts a variety of Timecode for DJing. I tried it out and it didn't work as good as I hoped, but nevertheless the possibilities are there.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

BentoSans To Do List:

1. Get Some sleep.
    2. Explain Max4Live to Karlos .
    3. Pull hair out cus Karlos is stoopid.

Will have a read up on Max4Live. I have a feeling im gonna need to know this shit.

Tech Mentor

When I first heard about Serato and Ableton I wondered if there was some kind of bad blood between NI and Ableton. I thought surely this should be happening with NI and Ableton. Kinda of strange, but what do I know anyways.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast