Ableton/Serato...2010! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Mentor

Maschine is in a way NI's DAW, or at least as close to it as it can... They would need to bring the audio recording to the table to make it a daw in it's own right!
    To be honest I think this all Max 4 Live it's all to geeky, don't get me wrong I like a little myself but I do think most people care about looks/ intuitiveness I mean we spend countless hours looking at these things... I can see this move as something really exciting for more technical skilled people... but for the general user there is a genuine risk of alienating and make live look more and more a far from this idea of how simple and easy to learn and use it...
    take a simple example ... Denon as always been superior to Pioneer, for the same price most of times you get more feat.s per $ with a Denon.
    I remeber 5 years ago a Denon S5000 was absolutly mind blowing BUT it's not easy to read! you need to practice, explore and learn how to use it ... Pioneer totally won the market just by keeping simple/ easy to understand and use...
    Just 3 year ago I was so much more difficult for me to sell a Traktor over a Serato, just because had way to much stuff for people's minds at the time...

So in sum I really think the world does not have much more head space for another DAW, unless it is radically different, but mainly it is much easier / fast to learn and use... maybe one with a gigantic "Make me a Hit" button or some mind reading facilities lol

Personally I've realised I spend to much time crafting and sculpting sounds and the perfect mix, and not as much making actual music!! I think we are as a whole maybe losing a little bit of the right focus!

What would I like Traktor to evolve?? Maybe the ability to make yer own effect racks (which would allow some sort of effect automation and sequencing), a Joystick Crossfader (X-fade between 4 Channels)... one of the effects could be some sort of frequency band cross fader, another one could be sidechain compressing between decks by band ... I don't really mix in key or worry to much about it, but would love a realtime analysis and compatibility info for key and spectral content of each track ...

More a more it is easy to pile tracks, but very very few people pull it off, making it sound as if only 1 track is playing

Z

PS - I haven't seen any1 implement a simple but usefool/ Cool feat ... A SOLO Button (like the Korg Zero Mixers)...

Tech Mentor

IMHO the LIve / Serato collab will bring auto-beatgrid/ Key with superior audio quality to serato, plus a sort of simplified Pre-configured Rewire, so you can use Live's effects with Serato.
    This should will probably also integrate the effects rack, with effect automation (maybe via dummy clips).... and last but certainly not least, enable you to record / play 4 channels into/ from Live with the simultaneous capability of using virtual drum machines/ Instruments with midi control and or sequencing...

This is what I believe with be the new LIVATO (or SERALIVE) lol ..

It's obvious what Serato as to gain, Live can benefit fromall the young DJs which will have a glimpse of the producting work, and probably will travel sooner or later into a full blown Copy of Abeton Live.

PS - IMHO ITCH V.2 already incorporate some of these collabs (namely with the gridding and timestreatch)

PS - NI's integration of Machine and Traktor is also a logic step in the same direction
    Last edited by DJ_Ze_MigL; 10-02-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Tech Guru

Default Re: Ableton/Serato...2010!

i think you are missing the point of what max integration brinfs to the table. to a certain extend you can see the power of what flexibility of tech offers for non technicap users in bentosan smart mixer or tims the finger. it allows othwr people to innovate and essentially expand the scope beyond the imagination of the original developers of your platform of choice. so i implore non technical people to embrace, even expect this kind of flexibility, in order to be assured to get these kinds of innovation at the pace of what the world is doing instead of the pace of the platform developers.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Mentor

Lsmith I agree that enlarging the "user programmer" base can be a smart move, but when I think of it ... there is already so much stuff being made on Max/ Reaktor/SynthEdit, later it gets ported to VST i or Au anyways... so i'd think that the more experienced and knowledge people are already on board really.

I am a synth nutt so I'm used to fiddling around and poking things trying to understand how they work and what you can do with the, and honestly I'm not really that excited with max 4 live (yet?!), only because it is a totally different level...

Where I think this will benefit all is on how easy it will be to find new "plug ins" that do crazy stuff, made by other users... and again there is already so much freestuff out there.

The finger is one of the most creative plugs I've seem in years ... (though I'd seen something along the same lines with Abeton's Racks).
    BTW - WORLD get ready to be totally rocked and revolutionized ... Celmony Melodyne DNA (or Melodyne 2 as some people call it) is already running around in Beta!!!!! The music world will never be the same again 4 sure!

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.ph..._betavideo&L=0

Tech Guru

I'm hoping it allows serato to be run as a 'vst' in ableton. Ultimate would be in clip view instead of having 'clips' having the 'waveform' run up the screen as per serato & u can add as many of these decks in next to each other as you want then add effects etc to them. That would be godlike.

Also being able to use the serato SL3 box as your ableton soundcard (with 3rd output acting as the ableton channel perhaps) would be key (having to use 2 soundcards would be retarded).

I'm expecting something more as stated. Preconfigured rewire & perhaps different gridding. Would be choice if you could grid tunes in ableton and then the grids can be used by serato..... so many possibilities for awesomeness I hope its not an epic let down.

Tech Mentor

You don't need several soundcards as it is right now, all you need is some virtual audio IN/outs so you can route channels from one to the other ... on mac you have jackosx, on PCs I think you need asio4all and/ or Soundflower ... all freeware

Look here in djtechtools for a really awesome tutorial on how to have tracktor (or serato for that matter) linked with Live (or cubase/ Fruity etc...).

Z

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123