I want to build a custom controller
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default I want to build a custom controller

So I want to build a custom controller. Something pretty basic, just a bank of arcade buttons (because they look so goddamn sexy) for stuff like cues and possibly tapping in tempos. I have a pretty good grasp on how to solder things, but I have no idea where I should look to buy parts, or what parts I should look at getting.

tl;dr: Where do I go to buy arcade buttons, and whatever else I would need for a small midi controller with nothing but buttons?
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Tech Wizard

hi,
    have a look at the UMC32, its basically plug in and play, you just wire up your buttons and pots. Last time I checked they didnt support endless encoders but that might have changed.

http://www.halemicro.com/Products/Products.html

I went down the midibox route but its much much more complicated!

Tech Wizard

also button wise, search for Happ or Sanwa arcade buttons and you should find what you are looking for

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kingnerk View Post
    hi,
    have a look at the UMC32, its basically plug in and play, you just wire up your buttons and pots. Last time I checked they didnt support endless encoders but that might have changed.

http://www.halemicro.com/Products/Products.html

I went down the midibox route but its much much more complicated!
    KG is working on an encoder add on to the product - no date as yet tho.

If you're after a really easy way of doing it then you could go for an ipac:
    http://www.ultimarc.com/ipacve.php

Basically its a keyboard encoder used for home arcade machines, so its not midi..

But you can map traktor etc for keyboards anyway - and the best part is its only $35 shipped anywhere.
    SC | MC

Tech Mentor

Thanks king, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I think I'll get my buttons from right here at DJTT if they have any, just because it is easy and in-reach.

Nicky: If I hat T Pro, that would be amazing, but I've just got DUO, which doesn't allow for keyboard mapping. Thanks though!
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Tech Wizard

hey..

I just started myself, customizing my own controller based on the Vestax VCI-100 SE..

Still thinking about the details, engraved frontplate, and maybe 4 channel..
    But itīs for my own need, and my own technic..

I will post some info later on here on Techtools, with pics, materials and so on..
    Just waiting right now on the components to arrive, from all over the world :-)
    can't wait to get startet.. :-)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Funken View Post
    hey..

I just started myself, customizing my own controller based on the Vestax VCI-100 SE..

Still thinking about the details, engraved frontplate, and maybe 4 channel..
    But itīs for my own need, and my own technic..

I will post some info later on here on Techtools, with pics, materials and so on..
    Just waiting right now on the components to arrive, from all over the world :-)
    can't wait to get startet.. :-)
    Hey I'd be really interested in seeing more details for this, been thinking of modifying my vci for full 4 deck mixing...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    If you're after a really easy way of doing it then you could go for an ipac:
    http://www.ultimarc.com/ipacve.php

Basically its a keyboard encoder used for home arcade machines, so its not midi..

But you can map traktor etc for keyboards anyway - and the best part is its only $35 shipped anywhere.
    Can someone tell me if the joystick connections are analogue on those things. I was wondering if I bought the IPac 54 would I get 16 analogue inputs and hence be able to put 16 pots or faders on to it???

Quote Originally Posted by Archies'bald View Post
    Can someone tell me if the joystick connections are analogue on those things. I was wondering if I bought the IPac 54 would I get 16 analogue inputs and hence be able to put 16 pots or faders on to it???
    Doesn't look like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast