Looking to switch DJ setup
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Looking to switch DJ setup

Hey DJTT,

So I've been djing for the past year and a half on the S2. While I loved it as a beginner controller, I'm looking to switch my setup. However, I'm conflicted about what I want to do. I'm not sure whether to go with a modular setup with a mixer + one or two controllers. Or, if I should with the S4.

Also, I don't do scratching. I mainly just mix the songs together and add effects where necessary.

Option 1:
    Buy Z2 and then probably 2 X1s. The reason I want to go with this setup is that I want the feel of a real mixer but still have flexibility to use traktor. Open to other mixer/set-up ideas.

Option 2:
    Buy S4. This would give me two extra decks to work with and a few extra features the S2 doesn't have.

Let me know what you guys think.

Tech Mentor

If you are getting a Z2 I do not see the point of getting two X1's. You should get a 4 channel mixer if you are getting 2 X1's.

For a little more money you can get the Denon X1600. I also personally think this is better value than the Z2.

Whether an S4 is better for you compared to 2 X1's + mixer depends on whether you want the jogs or not.

2 x1's & an x1600 is a fantastic setup.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Convert

Total brain fart on that one, my bad. Didn't realize that each X1 controlled 2 decks.

I guess my question now is it worth to have 4 decks if I'm primarily just mixing songs together? I could see the value of a 3rd deck but not sure if I'd need a 4th one.

Also, given that I'm not into scratching, I don't think I'd need any jogs.

Keep in mind you can use timecode with S4 as well.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LXJ View Post
    Keep in mind you can use timecode with S4 as well.
    You can use timecode with the Z2 or the X1600 as well.

Timecode not a point of difference for either decision.

Tech Mentor

You could always buy an X1600 + 1 X1 to start. You don't have to get 2 X1's at the beginning.

One downside of the Z2 is that its more like a midi controller + soundcard (the main way to use it with traktor is via internal mixing) and if that appealed then I would get a Z1 instead.
    Also much of the functionality of the Z2 is already duplicated in the X1 mk2 (browse, sync buttons, FX control etc). If you fancy the remix controls, with the money saved with settling for a Z1 you can get an F1.

If you don't want 4 decks then I don't see the point of getting an S4 over your S2...

I personally use the Z1+X1 mk2 setup for gigging out and I have a TSP DVS setup at home.

Tech Convert

Thanks for your responses. I really appreciate it.

Hmmm...well now that I think about it a little more, I'm liking the x1600 and 1 X1 combination to start with. I still have the flexibility to add another 2 decks later on.

Tech Convert

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but was hoping you could give me a little more advice.

I've set my mind on getting a 4 channel mixer and an x1. I'm having trouble deciding which 4 channel mixer though. In particular, I'm not sure whether to go with the X1600 or the XoneB2.

Tech Guru

Don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I think the X1600 will be better bang for the buck though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast