Dicers. Beat Gridding. Mapping???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dicers. Beat Gridding. Mapping???

Does anyone know of a Traktor mapping that will allow me to beat grid my tracks using my Dicers when I load them for the first time?

I'm looking to get a single "page" (ie - 5 buttons) on each Dicer (left deck/right deck) assigned to the functions that I'll need to set my beat grids...

I'm using timecode vinyl, so I'll be looking to move the waveform with the vinyl, and set the inital beat marker with the Dicer.

I haven't worked out in my mind how I'm gonna get the beatgrids perfect using Dicers and control vinyl, but I suspect 5 buttons will not be enough. I'll probably end up using some keyboard mappings for additional functions (ie - lock grid).

Seriously - my mind just BOGGLES when I try to think about how to beat grid using a midi controller!!!

I'm getting old, folks. That logic part of my brain doesn't make these connections as quickly as you young folks!

I've tried to draw out (on pen and paper!) the steps for beat gridding, and how I would midi map those - but I get TOTALLY lost! I've tried to incorporate setting a LOAD marker into the beat gridding process, and that is where my brain goes to MUSH - because, my hotcues page (on the Dicers) would be page 1 (Red - hotcues page), but I'd want the 1st hotcue button on that page to show up as YELLOW (as per Traktors load marker) and THAT Load Cue would be set from page 2 of the Dicer (ie - my beat gridding page). Confused? I am!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Does dicer even share multiple LED color in a single page or each page sets unique color by default?

You definitely Can have different colour LED's on a single page. My DJD mapping had all colours mapped on a single page.

And I've seen Traktor mappings (but not for beat griding) that have differnt colour buttons on a single page.

The only buttons that cannot have different colours are the page select (smal) buttons. Those are fixed. (1=Red, 2=Green, 3=Amber).

Novation_dicer.jpg

The big buttons can be any colour that can be made by mixing the 3 different LED's. You can get some pretty cool gradient effect.

Dicer Programmers Guide
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    You definitely Can have different colour LED's on a single page. My DJD mapping had all colours mapped on a single page.

And I've seen Traktor mappings (but not for beat griding) that have differnt colour buttons on a single page.

The only buttons that cannot have different colours are the page select (smal) buttons. Those are fixed. (1=Red, 2=Green, 3=Amber).

Novation_dicer.jpg

The big buttons can be any colour that can be made by mixing the 3 different LED's. You can get some pretty cool gradient effect.

Dicer Programmers Guide
    Patch, what kind of music are you playing? You may be able to just set an autogrid button.

Breakbeat, Drum and Bass, Hip-Hop, Ghetto Funk, Reggae, Funk, Soul, Rock, Ska...

I wouldn't trust autogrid. I never trusted autowarp in Ableton, and I want to get into the habit of griding a track once, properly.

Ok Pat, please attach your .tsi in reply and I'll give it a try and create your yellow hotcue. I'll be blind here without a dicer so you'll test result and let me know. Once we got hotcues I'll move on grid control.

Cheers Stewe!

I'm using an existing .tsi - here's the link:

http://javabass.wordpress.com/2012/0...traktor-2-5-3/

I use my Zomo MC-1000 for looping, so the Green Page (2) of the Dicer is where grid control will need to go.

Hotcues 2-5 will remain red on the Dicer.

Stewe - are you familiar with Bomes Midi Translator? You could set it up so that buttons on the computer keyboard behave like the Dicer buttons:

http://www.bome.com/products/miditra...erview/classic

I'm sure you already know about it? It would allow you to replicate ANY button based midi controller using just a computer keyboard (as long as you know the midi messages that the controller sends...)

I'm sure it would be useful for you...

wouldn't it be better to use the zomo under a shift for griding as you would get encoders that could make it really easy, I was thinking of your concept for this and figure to get all the functionality you require you would need to sacrifice two buttons to give you three of four shifts, but that has the problem of leaving you with only three buttons, but two of them have to increment and decrement values, which isn't ideal as you might get confused. eg.

patDicer.jpg
    Last edited by synthet1c; 11-15-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Here goes nothing. If I go and save changes in 2.6 than your 2.5 would not correctly import the file... However, did downloaded to check it and found out that archive was broken.

you should use a hotcue modifier as a condition to determine the color based on current cue type. Locate and select your 'hotcue type' command. Click modifier condition slot and select the hotcue you're currently assigning - from there make a deck assignment.

When your modifier is all set you should notice a type selector next to it. Probably saying 'cue'. Now this tells me that at any time this particular cue is set as a standard cue the color I set in MIDI range options will be displayed. In your case you should probably go for min/max 0 - 0 (red according manual) (or grab the value with a mouse and go trough entire range)

Next thing duplicate this command and map it to the same button as cue type was. This time change modifier condition in to Load and check MIDI range again and twaek it to yellow. Don't forget to change the actual cue type first!

Final step would be another duplicate to determine off color when you delete that cue. Same modifier but this time cleared of hotcue type - You getting idea?

synthet1c - Do you actually own a Zomo controller?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast