iPhone:Tonetable

Default iPhone:Tonetable

I stumbled onto a very interesting piece of APP yesterday while browsing-
    a litte piece of code called Tonetable, which emulates a control-vinyl on your iPhone/iPod Touch. It claims to be able to emulate not only Traktor Scratch Vinyls but a number of other DVS' as well. Never having used a DVS I became interested and made the purchase 5 Euros just out of curiosity. And even though I can only demo (didn't know that Traktor Pro != Traktor Scratch Pro... so much for the system of Traktor 3), I demoed it shortly and found it to be rather interesting. Not the feel of real vinyl obviously, but with a pitch-band, a key-control and a rather nice emulator of a TT, it interested me enough to ask around here if someone with more experience in this field has done reviewed this?
    I mix stuff on my things...

I bought it when it came out and used it with Serato for a few minutes; the fact that I haven't bothered with it since should tell you something. It's pretty straightforward; kind of fun as a neat trick but not something you'd want to use for a gig. Might come in handy if you forget your control vinyl of course, or if you get to a gig and there are no turntables and you want to use timecode. I guess for me it comes down to how nerdy I want to be - I'd much rather interact physically with a turntable or a VCI or other controller than an ipod touch screen. If you're into that sort of thing then iTouchMidi has some cool products that I've also played with - see http://www.itouchmidi.com/?q=node/192 - again, same thing; it was fun for a trick but do you really want to rock the crowd looking like you're texting on your cellphone? I guess it could come in handy when the crowd drags you off your rig to dance and you realize the song's about to end while you're still freakin nasty on the dance floor.... whip out your iTouch and execute a perfect mix while your other hand is still making booty spanking gestures...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    the crowd drags you off your rig to dance and you realize the song's about to end while you're still freakin nasty on the dance floor.... whip out your iTouch and execute a perfect mix while your other hand is still making booty spanking gestures...
    That made my day, right there.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

I hack your laptop from my stolen iphone and take over your show like a ghost ninja