Going Modular
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going Modular

Tech Wizard

Default Going Modular

Hey everyone:

I'm thinking of getting a second setup. I could never give up my turntables completely but I'm going to be trying a modular setup out. I have done plenty of researching, and I have read the forums, so please don't tell me to go research or look through other threads. I'm in between two setups. I have tried out some of the equipment at a local shop but now I want to ask opinions. And before I even say what I'm leaning towards I just want to see what some people say.

Setup 1 Xone Setup:

Xone 92 with 2 Xone K2s

Setup 2 Pioneer and NI:

DJM 900 with 2 X1 MK2s

Preference? Why?

Tech Guru

Er.. why can't you mix and match? Like get the Xone with X1s?

I personally would go for X1 MK2s, but that's because the K2 doesn't really fit what I want.

Xone 92 vs DJM900 comes down to if you want mixer FX.

I strongly prefer the X1s for Traktor and the DJM for scratching. You definitely don't need the K2s' soundcards.

Tech Wizard

I'm not saying no to mixing and matching I guess. But those are the two mixers, and those are the two controllers I'm looking at investing in. As for the mixers I deduced that same thing. I'm trying to see if someone comes up with any other HUGE thing besides effects that would slide me any which way. I'm using traktor so I will use those effects most of the time which makes me lean towards the xone. I appreciate the input mate.

Tech Guru

If you're using Traktor FX then I'd go with the Xone 92. No reason to shell out money for the mixer FX if you aren't gonna use them. Exact reason why I'm trying to get a Xone 92.

Tech Wizard

Yea man, exact same boat as you. I like both mixers, but the DJM is so much more money, and to be honest the only reason I really gave it a thought was because of the similar features to the xone and the "standard" that comes with it. I need to stop doing that haha.

I am a modular man! My setup is on the right! I use a K2 as my mixer, two X1's for transport and effects, two MF Pro's for effect macros and I JUST bought an RMX-1000! Feel free to PM me for any more questions about modularism.

1410838_383615741772541_1722391066_o.jpg
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

I recently got rid of my S4 and got a xone 92 and 2 x X1Mk2's, plus a NI A10 sound card.

I had decided on the X1, but wasn't sure about the mixer.

Ultimately, I felt I wanted a really good analogue mixer with send and returns to use with Traktor FX. Even with paying for the soundcard (which I got second hand) it was still much cheaper than the 900.

If you did mix X1's with the 92, then you would need to get a soundcard, like an A10, or, A6, depending on how many channels you want, and of course you end up with loads more cables.

Tech Guru

There's no need to go for the 900 to get a DJM. The 850 and 750 have sound cards that can be used for Traktor too, although only the 850 and 900 are Scratch certified if you want to add your turntables to your home setup.

If you go for the Xone 92 you'll need to get a sound card with 4 stereo outs too. You can aggregate two K2s on a Mac easily, but on Windows you'd be better off with a separate sound card e.g. an Audio 8/10.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

Oh wow. I completely forgot about the 92 lacking a soundcard >.>

You could also get another controller with a soundcard for cheap. Zomo MC-1000 has 4 channels and it's dirt cheap (<200)
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast