In search of the best, smallest, 4 channel controller(s).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In search of the best, smallest, 4 channel controller(s).

So here's my situation,
    I use traktor, I make mixes and mash ups and just overall play around with traktor a lot.
    I have a 4trak, which is pretty full featured. However, it's big. Whenever I get an idea, I usually just get on traktor on my laptop, on my desk, and don't have the bulky 4trak in front of me because there's no space. So, I do my best to test my idea without a controller.

I'm looking for a controller, or a handful of modular controllers, that are small but still 100% full featured when it comes to using traktor. Including the ability to control all 4 decks.

The controller(s) don't reeeeeally need to be all the nice, because I already have a 4trak which is what I use for gigs and whatnot. I really like the idea of having a Native Instruments Z2, X1, and F1, but I really don't like the fact that it's only 2 channels.
    I was thinking maybe two Z1s and two X1s? That should give me solid control over all of traktor, minus the remix decks (which is unfortunate, but I really don't use them anyway.) Another issue would be that I don't see a way to use headphones with this set up, not to mention that the touch strips aren't reeeeally good at finding a place in a song... I prefer jog wheels.
    I'd also accept any suggestions for a small, four channel full featured controller.

So, any recommendations? I'd like to spend not more than $800.
    Last edited by fuelandperform; 11-17-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Tech Guru

You can't use more than one Z1 apparently. Maybe a CMD-MM1 instead?

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ontrol-Z1-HELP
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Here are the options I would have done if I was going totally modular.

1. Z1, X1 and F1 - Z1 to control Ch 1+2, X1 to trigger Ch 1+2. F1 to use on sample decks on Ch 3+4.
    2. MM1, X1, F1
    3. MM1, X1, two PL1

Really combinations are endless but I love the price point of the Behringer CMD series. Forget the Z2. If you have X1 and F1 it is a really overpriced mixer compared to Z1 or MM1.

I currently have a DB2, X1, two S3700 and TTX, but was thinking of a mobile setup of the X1 and MM1
    13" MBP | Xone DB2 | Kontrol X1 MK2 | 2 X Denon DN-S3700 | NUmark TTX| NI MASCHINE MK2 | ABLETON PUSH

Tech Mentor

Sounds like you want a K2

Tech Guru

Can you really use the K2 as a mixer without center detents?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

I can not afford to get an new 4 channel mixer so a 4 channel controller with no jogs is all that I can think of.

after researching, all I could find are the A&H K2 and the Behringer cmd mm1. are there any more alternatives to this? maybe it will also help the OP and many others like me in finding a mixer.

s4 is way out of my budget unless i sell my 1200 and mixer. or i could just buy that 150$ djm500 that is on sale here in my area. lol
    Last edited by arsman; 11-18-2013 at 02:40 AM.
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

Tech Guru

There's nothing wrong with a cheap DJM500/600 or Denon X1500.

Back in their time they were the top of the line. If you aren't touring and just learning they're going to be perfect. You won't lose much when you upgrade.

Keep in mind you will need a sound card though.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

I use the K2 as a central mixer. Got a reloop contour along with it for gogs (additional deck & fx control) and a F1 for remix deck. I use three track decks (2main, 1 for vocals and soundscapes) and 1 remix deck for additional beats.
    Love it.

You could also go for the behringer cmd mixer, but I found myself missing controls and prefer the K2.
    However: I don't use the K2 as an audio interface, because in my opinion it isn't nealry loud enough (consumer electronics level, even less loud then an ipod). I also experience some problems with the Midi port, but I sent it in for repair, so I'm confident that will be sorted.
    Last edited by Deksel; 11-19-2013 at 07:05 AM.
    Traktor Pro 2.6.8, Ableton Live 9, Allen & Heath Xone:K2, Traktor Kontrol F1, Reloop Contour Interface Edition, Traktor Audio 2, Midi Fighter Twister Asus N56VZ 15" Core i7 rd gen laptop on Windows 10.

denon mc6000 is pretty compact
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    denon mc6000 is pretty compact
    For an all in one unit, yes, but you can go much smaller if you go modular.

The MC6000 does have many advantages over all of the combinations listed above though..... And within your price range as well (Just!!) http://www.d-mpro.com/US/denondj/pro...NMC6000(DMPro)
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast