Setting up an iRig midi with TouchOSC ?
    Tech Wizard

Default Setting up an iRig midi with TouchOSC ?

Dear all,

I finally received my iRig midi the other day and was super excited, as I recently bought Touch OSC from the App Store.

I'm looking to use it with their script LiveControl as well as a Traktor Template to control remix decks. I have a gig on Saturday... and really need to be able to set it up.

However, to my big dissapointment, i've been searching so hard on the net, but all setups for TouchOSC tell you about wireless setup... which I want to avoid an all costs. -> the reason I bought iRig midi.

Could ANYBODY give me a walkthrough of some kind...

thank you in advance! ops:

Hi Diesse,

I think I might be able to help out. I picked up a iRig MIDI a couple weeks ago and ran into similar issues trying to connect it to Ableton. First off, keep in mind TouchOSC is capable of sending/receiving OSC and/or MIDI, but the iRig only does MIDI. I haven't tried the Traktor Template yet, but the Ableton one was setup only to send OSC. Because of this it would not work with the iRig out of the box. I ended up creating my own template that did use MIDI. This isn't likely to help you with the pre-made LiveControl template, but you should be able to make your own. The bad thing about going this route is that OSC offers SO many more options than MIDI. Like the ability to send and receive different types of data (strings, etc). With midi only you can do a basic mapping, just nothing too advanced.

Now this is merely speculation, but I think it should be possible to send and receive both midi and OSC. For example, you could send midi through the iRig for time critical controls (play, cue, hotqueues, etc) and use OSC over WiFi for everything else. This solution would give the best of both worlds.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to collaborate on a design for something like this. I'm sure there a few people on here who would love to use their iOS as a low latency, advanced Traktor controller.

-RR

Tech Wizard

OK, so apparently, Traktor Templates simply work. Both input (control) & output (light etc on the ipad) on TouchOSC templates.

My problems were rising up with Ableton, as the LiveControl seems to exactly not send Midi data, which is the reason it wasn't going through the iRig.

I checked some posts about Lemur, and LiveControl 2, and that seems to be working perfectly with any kind of Midi interface for iPad, so I might have to splash an extra 45Euros and just get Lemur.

I simply cannot allow myself to have things going over Wi-Fi, as I need this stuff for live performance safety first!

In the mean time, if I have some free time, I'd probably do a basic midi mapping for Ableton as well, just to be able to use it as a stationary controller on my desk, but seriously it loses a lot of its functionality -> like sequencers etc... impossible, if I recon correctly.

Let's see, i'll post on TouchOSC forums to see if there's any way around this, and will let you know asap.

Cheers