adjustable-delay power strips?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default adjustable-delay power strips?

Hey there, i always got this problem in my little home studio, where i have my monitors connected to a Mackie Big Knob, and i have them all connected to the same power strip. And when i turn it on, it seems like the transformer of the Big Knob has just a split-second delay to when my first monitors power up, resulting in a loud pop and, of course, strain on the speakers themselves.

Now as soon as i realized this, i started shutting down the monitors from the switches behind them, but this can get very frustrating at times.

So i was wondering, without buying a power conditioner (which i am as soon as i get the funds, but those things aren't cheap at all), do any time-delayed power strips exist? That let me set my monitors to turn on a set time AFTER power gets to my Big Knob? Anyone know of such a device?

Help is appreciated
    L
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Tech Wizard

what you want is a power sequencer, but they don't really exist in a cheap format. (to my knowledge anyway, try googling around) if you need a conditioner down the line you may as well just start saving and buy a combo

I use Monster 2500 and 3500 power supplies for this in my studio. Not super cheap, but worth it IMO. Keep an eye on Amazon, they go on sale a lot too.

Do they still pop without the audio cables connected? If not, than a power conditioner won't help. You can connect your speakers to a separate power strip and use the switch on the strip for convenience.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

That's one thing I like about the monsters, they have some outlets on a 6 second delay when powering up, and reversed when you hit the main power switch. I use it to turn on my DAC and things like hard drives drives, have my monitors power on last. Ditto in reverse, the monitors power off first, then everything else does 6 seconds later.

Very handy when you have expensive monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by VagabondZ View Post
    what you want is a power sequencer, but they don't really exist in a cheap format. (to my knowledge anyway, try googling around) if you need a conditioner down the line you may as well just start saving and buy a combo
    Thank you very much, i didn't even know how to name the device i was searching for

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    I use Monster 2500 and 3500 power supplies for this in my studio. Not super cheap, but worth it IMO. Keep an eye on Amazon, they go on sale a lot too.
    Thank you, i heard some bad reviews on monster conditioners tho.... Same as their headphones and cables, reportedly mediocre but über-overpriced... Was personally thinking about a furman, but dang these things cost.. I'd love a 2-stage thing, completely detached from the grid, because i also have veeery very dirty power here, resulting in humming thru the mons..

Quote Originally Posted by funke View Post
    Do they still pop without the audio cables connected? If not, than a power conditioner won't help. You can connect your speakers to a separate power strip and use the switch on the strip for convenience.
    No, no , monitors aren't faulty it's just the timing that's a bit off. Without the cables, they turn on perfectly silent
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

I wasn't implying that there was an issue with your speakers. I was merely suggesting that your problem could easily be solved by switching two power strips.

As far as the humming, it sounds more like a ground loop issue more than a power supply issue. If you have audio adaptors that convert from a non grounded to grounded connection, you may hear ground loops. I have found that my computer's power supply creates a ground loop, and a three to two prong adaptor fixes it. That only works for the laptop. If I use one of those adaptors on any other equipment, I get electrocuted because of the ground loop or experience a him in the system. Ground loop isolators are a bandaid and can help with diagnosis, but you should use balanced connectors where possible.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

This isn't an extraordinary problem to have, and you'll just have to reconsider the order things get powered on or off.

Running live sound, amps are always the last thing to get turned on, and the first to be turned off.

Sure...having a timed power strip would make this all more convenient ... but that's not always available.

Tech Guru

You can get sequential MDU's…i know in the UK that Canford Audio sell these…we have about 40 in my work
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Wizard

Just get a power strip with individual switches for each socket and order the plugs in the sequence you need from left to right to switch on and reverse it to switch off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast