Maschine Mk1 vs. Maschine Mikro MK2 and MIDI compatibility questions

Default Maschine Mk1 vs. Maschine Mikro MK2 and MIDI compatibility questions

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a Maschine soon. I was wondering if I should get the Maschine MK1 for the the workflow, or the MK2 Mikro for the pads. Also, if I get a midi-usb cord and plug it into my digital piano, will Maschine pick that up?

Thank you so much

The trade-off is of personal preference. Honestly I hated the Pads on the Mk. I, however those knobs and added functionality of the regular over the mikro is pretty significant (for me anyway). Definitely a hard question to answer, I believe it's a personal choice. However, I can help you with with the digital piano thing. You can have ANY midi controller connected to your computer and Maschine should pick it up right away once you've started the program.

Yes my piano is midi, but not midi usb. So if I got a midi-usb cable that has an adapter on it, would it work with machine?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/220860239368?lpid=82

^ thats the one that i'm looking at

I've found that Maschine Studio has the best workflow, hands-down. After that, I would choose one of the full-sized units. I'm definitely not in love with either Micro.

You can just plug your piano into your computer via MIDI over USB or a cheap MIDI to USB interface like a MIO and Maschine will automatically pick it up via the software.

Botstein, I thought you were staying away from the studio. You pick one up? And I agree, i'm not in love with the Mikro at all either, but the Mk. II pads are just so much better then the Mk. I's, it's ridiculous.

No, I got it on day 1 (well, maybe day 2, technically) and totally love it. I performed on it Sunday and it was just so great. I'm pretty committed to the Maschine concept, and 16 pad instruments like QuNeo, MPC, Maschine, etc in general. I just wish NI would make longer power cords.

PS: I think that the Maschine community around here is going to dig my new projects.

PPS: I have an original Maschine for sale, with or without software - please don't read too much into it, I just figured I have one-too-many. I'll post a link once my thread is approved.

Ahhh, very cool! Glad to hear you like it. Do you have any videos of your performances? I'd definitely be interested in watching them. And which projects? like tracks you're working on or what?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sserena176 View Post
    Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a Maschine soon. I was wondering if I should get the Maschine MK1 for the the workflow, or the MK2 Mikro for the pads. Also, if I get a midi-usb cord and plug it into my digital piano, will Maschine pick that up?

Thank you so much
    I agree that it is a matter of personal preference. I first bought the mikro and used it for about a year with Maschine and in Traktor. After I awhile I felt I was a bit limited without the extra knobs. So I sold my Mikro an dupgraded to the MKII and havent looked back since. I like the work flow on it much better than the Mikro.

I guess it boils down to if you use it with Maschine or just as a midi controller to control other software. The pads are pretty amazing on both IMO so just depends what you want to do with it.