disco and funk music mixing and syncing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default disco and funk music mixing and syncing

Hi there...i have a very simple question...
    are there any chances to mix and sync old 70 and disco music with traktor pro 2.6 ?
    And if so how can i do it? do i need to do a particular setting in Traktor ?
    Thanks in advance
    Ciao from Italy
    Giorgio Giordano

Yes of course, i don't see how this would be any different from any other genre?
    HP Pavillion 17" , i7 core 2nd gen, 8Gb ram / Traktor Scratch Pro 2 / Ableton Live suite 8 & 9 / Traktor Kontrol S4 / Traktor Kontrol F1 / 2x Numark TT200 / Hercules DJ Console RMX / Akai MPD24 / Evolution MK425C / Evolution UC33 / Sennheiser HD215 / M-Audio Audiophiles BX5A active monitors

Tech Guru

I assume the confusion for you is the fact that the beatgrids are not accurate due to the tempo drifting. Unfortunately, Traktor does not allow flexible beatgrids and as such you have either two options

A) the old school way; You manual adjust the bpm using a jogwheel or whatever chosen method you have of pitch bending, like you would if you mix anything by ear.

B) The new school way; You use a program like Ableton to warp and stretch the song into perfect alignment, allowing Traktor to accurately beatgrid it.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Guru

Yes, beatmatch manually.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Ride the pitch...
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    Ride the pitch...
    ^this is correct

here's a tip loop a section where the drums don't drift and mix into that

Tech Guru

Warping FTW.

Yes you can manually beatmatch some tracks however some tracks have tempo's that drift so much that it's very difficult to do a clean mix. Ableton's autowarp has come a long way so it's pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by P4ULSON View Post
    ^this is correct

here's a tip loop a section where the drums don't drift and mix into that
    This is where you will be able to really make it shine... I have done some quick country rock mixes where I mixed it like electronic music by doing this

Tech Mentor

Or use beat tap to tap in the beat when you need it.
    Don't use a wireless mouse or keyboard to tap in the beat tho as they generally have quite high latency.

or just use SDJ and stretch the elastic beat grid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast