Problem with Turntable FX in Traktor 2.6.5

Default Problem with Turntable FX in Traktor 2.6.5

Hey all,

I'm having an issue with making a tape stop effect using the Turntable FX in Traktor Pro. Basically, the problem is when I trigger the button to initiate the tape stop, there is about a 1-3 second delay before the effect kicks in (in this case I'm holding the button down until the effect turns on). This also happens if I use my mouse to turn on the FX on the deck first, then turn on the individual effect. When I do it the manual way, every other time I engage the effect after the first time works immediately. The problem reoccurs if you turn off the FX on the deck and then later re-engage.

Here is an old thread regarding this issue in earlier versions of Traktor Pro. This is the exact issue I'm seeing now. http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...o-1-1-1-update

Has anyone had success with consistently being able to trigger immediate tape stops with the Turntable FX? Am I the weirdo trying to use the effect improperly?

-Donny
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Tech Guru

The reason is that Traktor has to buffer the track before it can do the slow down effect. it takes 8 beats before it is buffered enough to make it activate. It knows to start buffering when you assign FX to a deck. Kind of crappy but that's how it is. The only way to have it forever instant is to always have an FX bank assigned to it and your channel.

CDJ style start/stop controls are one of my most hoped for features in Traktor 3.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

The reason is that Traktor has to buffer the track before it can do the slow down effect.
    Are you sure? Doesn't really make sense for a slow down effect. I know that wasn't the case with any slow down/tapestop effects in Ableton Live...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    The reason is that Traktor has to buffer the track before it can do the slow down effect. it takes 8 beats before it is buffered enough to make it activate. It knows to start buffering when you assign FX to a deck. Kind of crappy but that's how it is. The only way to have it forever instant is to always have an FX bank assigned to it and your channel.

CDJ style start/stop controls are one of my most hoped for features in Traktor 3.
    Second that.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Are you sure? Doesn't really make sense for a slow down effect. I know that wasn't the case with any slow down/tapestop effects in Ableton Live...

Yes because it's not slowing down the actual track, it's slowing down a sample of the track. I think also when you release the effect to speed it back up it actually uses the same sample that it slowed down, so it doesn't blend smoothly. I think.

I'm pretty sure it explains the buffer thing in the Traktor manual in the effects section. I've definitely read it somewhere when I was in the same place as the OP.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Thanks Sambo, I didn't realize this was expected behavior and would've been explained in the manual. This is what it says in the manual:

The effect has to be started in off mode and then turned on to sample the current audio.
    That's unfortunate.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Same applies to other Traktor effects such as reverse grain, tape delay, stretch, etc...

Tech Convert

I have my own workaround for this.a good oldstyle cdj 100 effect
    You just map the jog to work as your pitch fader (combination with shift or modifier) and when you touch the jog it automatically selects 100% (or is it 50) pitch range (touch sensitive jogs). You set the sensivity the way you like it and now you have your own manually adjusted/driven turntable fx. Additionally you have to map a pitch range selector to your pitch fader so it selects it back to your preferred pitch range..and it works even if you have your key locked bacause at some point traktor stops to hold the key and you get that "going down" sound you wanted.