How to Play CDs

Thread: How to Play CDs

Tech Wizard

Default How to Play CDs

Hello,

Hope all is well with you all.

I am currently using a Denon MC6000 and Traktor Pro with Macbook Pro (using Itunes). So, I am entirely digital. However, occasionally, I do have people come up to me with a CD requesting me to play a specific track. If I have that track, all is fine.

My only choice then is to pop in the CD into the computer, rip the tracks into itunes and then sync with Traktor. I do not like this approach for fear of "messing" up the live performance.

Is there any other alternative - would it be too much to get a basic CDJ which could also act as a backup just in case?

Thanks - Oyiwaa

Tech Guru

Traktor can read from CDs through its browser. It seems like a very odd way of recieving requests though.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

just get a cheap cdj, and run it through one of the inputs

i usually just rip em from itunes and add them to a playlist then from there i play the playlist from traktor. i also tried playing the cd's straight from traktor but my mbp could not analyze the track any quicker but ripping did the job
    MBP 13"| TSP 2.6 | MPD 26 | MF Spectra | 2x Stanton ST150 | NI Kontrol z2

Quote Originally Posted by tothecloudd View Post
    i usually just rip em from itunes and add them to a playlist then from there i play the playlist from traktor. i also tried playing the cd's straight from traktor but my mbp could not analyze the track any quicker but ripping did the job
    ^ This.

Done this a few times and traktor has always worked fine while doing it. A cheap CDJ (Or even one of those portable CD players) hooked to an input on the mixer would be better though if you're worried about the ripping affecting your live performance.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud