Deck 2/4 not responding
    Tech Student

Default Deck 2/4 not responding

All of a sudden (of course) deck 2/4 jogwheel and cue function don't. Press play arcade button and nothing happens. Tried reloading mapping, no joy. Noticed on the instructions that come with mapping that under Device Set up, regarding Ports, it should read VCI, however it always changes to Generic Keyboard and In Port reads Generic Keyboard and the Out Port is greyed out N/A. Stuck badly, been hours trying to solve this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tech Mentor

controller_d6ac58dacf_3bca4ce1a5.jpg

first of all:
    when in-port says keyboard, you selected the keyboard mapping!
    and because your keyboard has no LEDs it doesnīt show any out-port.

in the picture it says "generic keyboard". there a little, yellow arrow right of it. when you click it, all other mappings appear!
    there should be your midi controller mapping. select it and be sure the in-port and out-port are set to "vestax pc controller" (or something similar)!

Be sure to load your mapping properly!
    delete all mappings found in "device".
    then import your mapping by using the big import button on the bottom left site of the controller manager windows. (not shown in the picture).
    after importing your mapping, do it again (in order to load everything the right way)!!
    then set the in- and out-port of the vci mapping to "vestax pc controller" (as mentioned above) and quit traktor! fire it up again and quit it one more time!!
    after starting traktor again, your mapping should be load properly!

if you still have problems with your controller (after reloading the mapping), you have to take a look into that mapping if the controls and note are set properly and no conflicting modifiers are set.. also check which firmware your vci100 has and if your mapping has been made for the firmware.

to be sure, your vci isnīt broken, download a midi monitor app of your choice and try if the buttons, jogs and faders send midi notes to the computer.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Tech Student

Thanks for your response, re-imported the mapping several times, remembered to do it more than once to make sure it loaded properly. The mapping for a Generic Keyboard always comes up when I restart Traktor. The mapping i am loading is 3.6.4
    If I open up the Preferences and go to Device Setup, it always opens up with "generic keyboard" which i guess means I am not saving it correctly....pffft!
    Have no idea on adjusting mappings to suit my needs and the DJTT one generally suits my needs, hence I wouldn't really know what to look for.
    Don't think the vci is broken, as the buttons are working occasionally, not consistently.
    Vestax VCI 100 SE - Traktor Pro - Apogee Duet - Guitar Pedals

Tech Student

Since the last message, have gone back into it, and realize what you mean regarding the "Device settings, and seeing VCI, under the Generic Keyboard. Fine there, looked at the midi mapping and the Control, Pause/Play for Deck B is locked together with a duplicate setting although there are two different Mode settings. The same Control for Deck A does not have a duplicate setting as B, so in my naivety I think that duplication could be causing some kind of conflict. But then again, I have loaded Traktor2, which I don't normally use, and the same problem with the Cue/Play button still exists. Dumbfounded.

Tech Student

Screen shot 2013-12-05 at 15.25.34.jpg

As I am not a midi professor, I don't know if the above setting is normal, although no other Decks have the exact same duplicate set, which makes me think this duplication could be causing the conflict. Just a thought.

Tech Mentor

cousin it has problems posting in this forum and i seem to have issues answering private messages, so i copied and paste the private messages here.

cousin it wrote:
    " In the Devices section, it always says 'generic keyboard', i change it to 'vestax pc controller', close, save, restart and 'generic keyboard' once again appears. The problem I am having affects only the jogwheel and the corresponding cue and play buttons on Deck B/D. I have no idea how to change or modify, or look at the midi mapping for this control. "

i tried to reply:
    - the keyboard mapping is always on top of the "device" row.
    - all mappings in the device row are active when in- & out-port are set.
    - asked what computer and which traktor version is used.
    also it would be helpful to know which firmware is loaded on the vci.

Tech Mentor

i copied some general information about the vci 100 you should know and maybe you can find out which firmware is loaded on your vci!

the jog wheel touch sensor turns off when the wheel stops turning, not when you release your finger.

Version 1.2
    -VCI-100's with a green sticker on the back are firmware version 1.2
    - this version solved the ramp up problem but still has several bugs including
    * the fourth FX buttons send out the same midi message as the right headphone cue button.

Version 1.3
    The firmware found in all VCi-100SE controllers that was designed by Ean Golden.

You can tell if you have 1.3 by following these steps.

1) connect your vci-100 to a computer but dont start traktor.

2) Click the button that is at the top right hand corner of the left jog wheel (its next to the filter knob for deck A).

3) If this button's light toggles on and off then you have 1.3 (the same button on the right deck will not toggle on and off.

Here are a few of the changes made in 1.3

general improvements:

* Eliminated the problem where the 4th FX buttons trigger other buttons (cue)
    * added midi in functionality to the loop buttons
    * added a note on to the jog wheel in scroll mode

performance:

* turned the filter knobs into double knobs (0-127 on the left and right side)
    * added a "freeze function" to the bottom of each fader and top of the fx knobs. this sends out a 127 message only at the end of the movement
    * added inverted messages to the faders (this allows an effect to be turned on by turning the fader down- not possible otherwise)
    * added unique values to the FX buttons (these were used for direct FX selection- now added in Traktor Pro)
    Which firmware version does your VCi-100 have?
    Version 1.1
    the firmware with the "ramp up problem"

the jog wheel touch sensor turns off when the wheel stops turning, not when you release your finger.

Version 1.2
    -VCI-100's with a green sticker on the back are firmware version 1.2
    - this version solved the ramp up problem but still has several bugs including
    * the fourth FX buttons send out the same midi message as the right headphone cue button.

Version 1.3
    The firmware found in all VCi-100SE controllers that was designed by Ean Golden.

You can tell if you have 1.3 by following these steps.

1) connect your vci-100 to a computer but dont start traktor.

2) Click the button that is at the top right hand corner of the left jog wheel (its next to the filter knob for deck A).

3) If this button's light toggles on and off then you have 1.3 (the same button on the right deck will not toggle on and off.

Here are a few of the changes made in 1.3

general improvements:

* Eliminated the problem where the 4th FX buttons trigger other buttons (cue)
    * added midi in functionality to the loop buttons
    * added a note on to the jog wheel in scroll mode

performance:

* turned the filter knobs into double knobs (0-127 on the left and right side)
    * added a "freeze function" to the bottom of each fader and top of the fx knobs. this sends out a 127 message only at the end of the movement
    * added inverted messages to the faders (this allows an effect to be turned on by turning the fader down- not possible otherwise)
    * added unique values to the FX buttons (these were used for direct FX selection- now added in Traktor Pro)"

the latest and last firmware of the vci100 is 1.4!
    here is a link with information about the update:

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/09/1...-1-4-hd-updat/

Tech Mentor

here is another link about basic midi mapping in traktor you should read.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...nsive-Tutorial

Tech Mentor

first of all: i use an older traktor version (1.2.7) and the layout and command names vary from the latest version of traktor. little differences donīt have to bother you because the way to find the error is the same.

Step 1:
    make sure the button/jogs are not broken.

connect the vci, start traktor. everytime you push buttons traktor receives midi signals and indicates this by lighting up a little "control" light in traktor. (the same happens on the vci, the "data" led lits up.)

try the problematic buttons, to see if traktor is receiving the signals of the button/jog!
    -if the lights turn up, your vci is not broken!
    -if the control light in traktor doesnīt turn on while pressing/touch the button/jog, itīs a vci problem.

(I donīt think itīs broke, I believe the problem is in your mapping. what mapping do you use? tried another mapping?)

Step 2:

get into the controller manager.

controller manager.jpg

the keyboard mapping is selected by default. (you canīt change the position of the mappings)
    click on the little triangle next to the mappings name to expand the "device" list and select the mapping for your vci!

devices.jpg

in my setup are 7 mappings loaded for 3 different devices (keyboard, nanopad, vci100).
    i donīt know what vci mapping you loaded and what its name. have a look and you will find it. select it from the list. now traktor shows the commands of the vci midi mapping.

vci set up.jpg

have a look at the in-port & out-port box, it will say "vestax pc controller".
    in the "assignment table" all midi commands from and to the vci are listed.
    you can sort the commands by clicking in the header (control, I/O (input/output), mode, mapped to, ..)
    here you can search for the commands (cue, play, cup,..) and look for the error.

Step 3:

locating the error.

in step 1 we excluded a vci problem.
    now we have to exclude that a command in the tsi file (mapping file) is messed up.
    because my command names differ from newer traktor versions, I canīt tell you which command you have to check. you need to know which function is buggy and on which modifiers it depends! this is a little bit advanced... you have to know under which conditions (modifiers) a commend should be triggered. and the best way to see a mapping as a whole is to look tutorials, read the djtt blog, experiment with own mappings and to use the manual (RTFM). :P

BUT there is a fast and dirty way to find the desired commands.

Here you find a midi note layout of the vci100se (firmware 1.4!)

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=56331

one picture shows the output notes (LEDs), the other one shows the input notes (command trigger signals) for traktor.

which buttons make problems? have a look which midi note makes problems! then sort the "assignemt table" by "mapped to" and scroll to the desired midi note to check if the commands are correctly triggered.

Attention: the jog wheel is sending a lot of different notes depending how it is used! AND by pressing the scratch button these midi notes change to other notes!
    __
    MIDI notes for the RIGHT jogs on a vci 100 (FW1.4)

-outer jog turned clockwise (without touching the metal plate) > ch2 C4
    -outer jog turned against clockwise (without touching the metal plate) > ch2 C#4

scratch button on (default)
    -jog tap (touching the metal plate) > ch1 B2
    -jog turning (touching the metal plate) > ch2 cc017

scratch button off (LED off)
    -jog tap (touching the metal plate) > ch1 F#8
    -jog turning (touching the metal plate) > ch2 cc019
    ___

Hope you understand the instructions in bad english.
    Donīt hesitate to ask further questions.
    But let me know what computer you use, which traktor version you run, what mapping you imported and which firmware the vci has. additionally it would be useful to know if you checked step 1 and if the problem occurs when another mapping is loaded. https://maps.djtechtools.com/