Need help with Techno
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Need help with Techno

Hi all,

Would like some advice on Techno, really love a minimalistic techno style but having trouble finding it.

Where or how should I search?

For example, this is what I like:

Michael Boenig - Toris Moon (Pascal Feos Remix)

Bougaieff, Nicolas - Decompress (Original Mix)

Mononoid - Parallel To The Radius (Original Mix)

These I got from ''traumschalplatten.de''

Greetz,
    Jordi

Tech Guru

Find out the labels that those tracks were released on, find other artists on that label listen to their stuff, and repeat.

Just see where that takes you and I'm sure you'll find plenty.

Other than that search for minimal techno.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Even if you don't buy from beatport, enter in an artist that you like and see what else is suggested. You can make some pretty extensive lists of artists and labels this way.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

That I try to do but somehow there's only one label which I like, Trapez (&Trapez LTD).

Could you name some similar labels so that I can broad my search?

(sorry for my english, I'm Dutch :P)

Find a mix by a techno artist you like and check out who's tracks he's playing. If theres no tracklist then shazam is your friend
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by deflits980 View Post
    That I try to do but somehow there's only one label which I like, Trapez (&Trapez LTD).

Could you name some similar labels so that I can broad my search?

(sorry for my english, I'm Dutch :P)
    There's only one label you like?

Then you really do need to broaden your search. Like I said in my first find out artists you like and the labels they have released on, labels tend to release similar sounding stuff so this is the best way.

Others have mentioned soundcloud, which can be excellent, listen to our favourite dj's mixes and you'll find plenty of tracks.

Also try Juno/Rush Hour/Triple Vision, a lot of good techno releases come out on vinyl which youll find at the shops I mentioned, worth checking to see if they have also done digital releases.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Mentor

Thanks! Some helpfull tips in there!

So far I found these labels, in case someone is interested...

Top 3:

1. Traumschallplatten
    2. Minus
    3. Drumcode (doesn't really fit the first two in my opinion but has some great techno )

Vinyl... First I'll have to get to know my cdj's better . Love the sound of vinyl!

Tech Guru

Vinyl... First I'll have to get to know my cdj's better . Love the sound of vinyl!
    I'm not saying you should go out and buy vinyl, but look at the vinyl techno charts, it will give you an idea, and some may have been released digitally.

But I have to say a lot of the best techno only gets released on vinyl and are vinyl only.

Tech Wizard

Thanks! Some helpfull tips in there!

So far I found these labels, in case someone is interested...

Top 3:

1. Traumschallplatten
    2. Minus
    3. Drumcode (doesn't really fit the first two in my opinion but has some great techno )

Stay closer to home! GEM Records has some great techno for you. Our fellow countrymen Secret Cinema and Egbert have made some lovely tracks, including this one:

Other labels that release 'minimalistic techno':

SCI+TEC
    Cocoon (but not dominantly)
    Kompakt

Some older B-Pitch and Crosstown Rebels stuff released minimal as well, not so much recently, but when the sound was 'big' (04-09 era)

Perlon too.

In regards to artists..

Gaiser, Hobo, Matador, Villalobos, Luciano, Robag Wurhme, Argy, Domink Eulberg, Audion, Marc Houle, Gabriel Ananda, Minilogue, Sleeparchive are some of my faves, most have done releases on the labels you've mentioned so you've probably got them covered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast