Mashup Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mashup Help

Default Mashup Help

Hey guys!
    I've recently started using ableton live to do some mashups and this is the first fruits of my labour... however there are some parts of it that sound very off to me and i'm not quite sure why... So please be critical of this mashup so i can keep working it out. Thanks for the help!

The mashup is Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi and City of Lights by Lush and Simon.
    It is also a private soundcloud link so if its not opening for some reason let me know.

EDIT: Thanks for all the Help guys! Full Final Version is a free Download Here: https://soundcloud.com/djd-rise/livi...city-of-lights

EDIT 2: Here is the Extended Mix:
    https://soundcloud.com/djd-rise/livi...s-extended-mix
    Last edited by a burdenless pig; 12-04-2013 at 05:06 PM.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Sounds pretty decent TBH - but

1. You can noticably hear the slices in parts .. possibly warp mode issue ?
    2. Vocal needs to be WAYYYYYY louder across the entire track.
    3. Personal Preference would be to kick the beat back in with a loud effected "Living on a Prayyyyerrr" dropped into dead silence after the build up

Apart from that good job

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Sounds pretty decent TBH - but

1. You can noticably hear the slices in parts .. possibly warp mode issue ?
    2. Vocal needs to be WAYYYYYY louder across the entire track.
    3. Personal Preference would be to kick the beat back in with a loud effected "Living on a Prayyyyerrr" dropped into dead silence .. could deff see the crowd hopping.

Apart from that good job
    ya the vocals were way to loud before...so i dialed them back
    My warp mode was complex pro... and the acapella was raised by 2 semitones..any way to get rid of the "slicing"
    Also not quite sure what you mean by your third point.
    Thanks for the fast response! hoping to play it this saturday

ya the vocals were way to loud before...so i dialed them back
    I would deff dial them back up a bit - add some compression on them perhaps to bring them inline - it sounds like a vocal being dropped cautiously onto a backing track rather than an in-your-face remix IMHO.

The slicing would really depend on the way the samples are cut up or triggered - its not the vocal that sounds sliced up/jumpy its the beats

Also not quite sure what you mean by your third point.
    At the big build up ... "oooooo0000000OOOOOOO ..........." with the raising pitch @ 2.26 instead of dropping "were halfway there" before the beat I'd throw "were halfway there" in a bar early around 2.22 so you end up with the vocal "living on a prayer" just before the beat.

I just kinda "expected" on hearing it that I'd be hearing the big "Living on a Prayer" and crowds respond better to predictability especially with mashups of stuff they already know - means they can sing along without thinking too much

Hope that makes sense.

I would deff dial them back up a bit - add some compression on them perhaps to bring them inline - it sounds like a vocal being dropped cautiously onto a backing track rather than an in-your-face remix IMHO.

The slicing would really depend on the way the samples are cut up or triggered - its not the vocal that sounds sliced up/jumpy its the beats

At the big build up ... "oooooo0000000OOOOOOO ..........." with the raising pitch @ 2.26 instead of dropping "were halfway there" before the beat I'd throw "were halfway there" in a bar early around 2.22 so you end up with the vocal "living on a prayer" just before the beat.

I just kinda "expected" on hearing it that I'd be hearing the big "Living on a Prayer" and crowds respond better to predictability especially with mashups of stuff they already know - means they can sing along without thinking too much

Hope that makes sense.
    ok that makes a lot of sense! Not quite sure how to make the beats less "slicey" though. The original version of the track sounds very exactly like mashup. Here is a link to it if your interested:

Also Did you notice that the ending part where living on a prayer is sung over the beat is a little off key? it sounds funny to me... could just be my ears though. If it is though.. any way I could retune some of the notes?

Thanks again so much for your help! I will try your suggestions and reupload!

i really dig the track. vocals gotta be louder and the kick drum from 1:45-2min in just sounds a bit too raw. its pretty rock and roll but i think if you can do some magic stuff it would sound a little less harsh (you can tell I'm a producer from the technical terms). the build is sick and unexpected how the ohs just build. creates tension. i dig it. when you finally get the full chorus its sick. well done
    Hercules RMX 2 Traktor Kontrol F1
    Check out my F1 hot cue mapping https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/1376

Quote Originally Posted by npapermaster94 View Post
    i really dig the track. vocals gotta be louder and the kick drum from 1:45-2min in just sounds a bit too raw. its pretty rock and roll but i think if you can do some magic stuff it would sound a little less harsh (you can tell I'm a producer from the technical terms). the build is sick and unexpected how the ohs just build. creates tension. i dig it. when you finally get the full chorus its sick. well done
    Since all I have is 320kbps mp3 of the beats not a separate multitrack theres not much I can do about the harsh kick. I tried eq ing that section in this revised version along with some other changes @deevey suggested. Thanks so much for the feedback It will definitely be a free download when it's finished.

https://soundcloud.com/djd-rise/livi...ghts-2/s-Lo1tt

Quote Originally Posted by a burdenless pig View Post
    Since all I have is 320kbps mp3 of the beats not a separate multitrack theres not much I can do about the harsh kick. I tried eq ing that section in this revised version along with some other changes @deevey suggested. Thanks so much for the feedback It will definitely be a free download when it's finished.

https://soundcloud.com/djd-rise/livi...ghts-2/s-Lo1tt
    Sounding better

I'd still crank up the vocals a good bit more as they are still very "distant" like someone standing too far away from the mic (not something Mr. Jovi is known for) - don't be afraid of the vocal. The "Living on a prayer" before the kick should be completely obnoxiously in your face ... make everyone wanna SCREAM along with it before waving their hands like loonies

You can either use the pitch tool in Ableton to tweak the vocal back into tune for that segment or possibly even just adjusting the cents slightly might do the trick as it doesn't appear to be off by a whole semitone - just a tad off.

Don't know what you did with the export but it sounds less "slicey" this time round.

Sounding much better though dude with the changes so far.

Sounding better

I'd still crank up the vocals a good bit more as they are still very "distant" like someone standing too far away from the mic (not something Mr. Jovi is known for) - don't be afraid of the vocal. The "Living on a prayer" before the kick should be completely obnoxiously in your face ... make everyone wanna SCREAM along with it before waving their hands like loonies
    I agree. this is one of the all time best (drunken) sing along songs and people want to hear themselves sing but, lets be real, chances are they can't sing. if you pump up the vocals i think it'd be gnarly. i also think the raised vocals helped with the drum kick. its not as in your face when you want to hear the vocals
    Hercules RMX 2 Traktor Kontrol F1
    Check out my F1 hot cue mapping https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/1376

Quote Originally Posted by npapermaster94 View Post
    I agree. this is one of the all time best (drunken) sing along songs and people want to hear themselves sing but, lets be real, chances are they can't sing. if you pump up the vocals i think it'd be gnarly. i also think the raised vocals helped with the drum kick. its not as in your face when you want to hear the vocals
    Last one hopefully?? https://soundcloud.com/djd-rise/livi...lights/s-hvRva
    Used some of the background vocals of the track that somehow creates the illusion that bon jovi stays in key a little better. Tried to boost some of the vocals again as well. I've been doin most of this with ipod headphones so its really tough to tell when stuff is to loud or not loud enough... You guys have been so helpful. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast