Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    leicester. uk.
    Posts
    481

    Default Technics 1210 MK2 restoration

    Hey,

    So as the title may sujest im looking to restore my technics to their former glory.

    After several years of being abused in a club, they are now mine. Now I've checked them over and they are solid, everything works fine but...

    Due to their hard working life, they are looking a bit tired, scuffs aplenty, and extremely dull looking platters, with quite a bit of the black paint behind the dots has worn away in places.

    Looking for someone preferbly based in the midlands who can restore them, repaint the cabinets (just the original black) and touch up the platters.

    If anyone knows of someone, could be kind enough to point me in the right direction.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / AKG K618 / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl

    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / KRK Rokit RP5 G2 / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

  2. #2
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Hi buddy... I restored one of my 1210MK2's a few months ago as well, have almost completely rebuilt it by hand myself, using nothing much more than eBay for parts and YouTube for tutorials... I highly recommend this to you. I spent 150 sending the deck off to a 'technician' firm in Brighton (who won't be named), who came at a high recommendation (they do Rinse.fm's decks). It was 150 wasted, and cost me 30 in courier charges each way. As for cleaning the platter-dots... use Brasso and window cleaner. Rinse repeat until it buffs back to new. Painting/sanding the body is a heavy job, and I would actually just recommend buying a new faceplate (Technics original or custom) from eBay and saving yourself a lot of service charges.

  3. #3
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    leicester. uk.
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afxz View Post
    Hi buddy... I restored one of my 1210MK2's a few months ago as well, have almost completely rebuilt it by hand myself, using nothing much more than eBay for parts and YouTube for tutorials... I highly recommend this to you. I spent 150 sending the deck off to a 'technician' firm in Brighton (who won't be named), who came at a high recommendation (they do Rinse.fm's decks). It was 150 wasted, and cost me 30 in courier charges each way. As for cleaning the platter-dots... use Brasso and window cleaner. Rinse repeat until it buffs back to new. Painting/sanding the body is a heavy job, and I would actually just recommend buying a new faceplate (Technics original or custom) from eBay and saving yourself a lot of service charges.
    Cheers for the advice, I don't mind doing some of it myself, its more having the cabinet painted, can see myself bodging that. Not a massive fan of the faceplates, and to buy new cabinets I think its rather pricey.

    I've had one of them in bits already, as one had two zero's on the pitch. And just got myself a soldering iron to have a go at replacing one of the target lights and to replace the rca's.

    I'll have a go with the brasso/window cleaner, cheers for the tip!
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / AKG K618 / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl

    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / KRK Rokit RP5 G2 / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

  4. #4
    Tech Guru Patch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    3,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amadeus
    ...and to buy new cabinets I think its rather pricey.
    I might be able to help you there, mate... I've got TWO 1210mkII cabinets (metal/top part only) that have been stripped to bare metal and professionally sprayed white.

    120 + P&P for the pair.
    Performance: 2xTechnics 1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, Sony VAIO
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, MOTU Ultralite, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

    Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

  5. #5
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    leicester. uk.
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I might be able to help you there, mate... I've got TWO 1210mkII cabinets (metal/top part only) that have been stripped to bare metal and professionally sprayed white.

    120 + P&P for the pair.
    Cheers for the offer Patch, but I would like to keep them the original black.

    As much as I like the look of white 1210's I just prefer them in the original black.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / AKG K618 / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl

    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / KRK Rokit RP5 G2 / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •