Technics 1210 MK2 restoration
    Tech Guru

Default Technics 1210 MK2 restoration

Hey,

So as the title may sujest im looking to restore my technics to their former glory.

After several years of being abused in a club, they are now mine. Now I've checked them over and they are solid, everything works fine but...

Due to their hard working life, they are looking a bit tired, scuffs aplenty, and extremely dull looking platters, with quite a bit of the black paint behind the dots has worn away in places.

Looking for someone preferbly based in the midlands who can restore them, repaint the cabinets (just the original black) and touch up the platters.

If anyone knows of someone, could be kind enough to point me in the right direction.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Mentor

Hi buddy... I restored one of my 1210MK2's a few months ago as well, have almost completely rebuilt it by hand myself, using nothing much more than eBay for parts and YouTube for tutorials... I highly recommend this to you. I spent £150 sending the deck off to a 'technician' firm in Brighton (who won't be named), who came at a high recommendation (they do Rinse.fm's decks). It was £150 wasted, and cost me £30 in courier charges each way. As for cleaning the platter-dots... use Brasso and window cleaner. Rinse repeat until it buffs back to new. Painting/sanding the body is a heavy job, and I would actually just recommend buying a new faceplate (Technics original or custom) from eBay and saving yourself a lot of service charges.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by afxz View Post
    Hi buddy... I restored one of my 1210MK2's a few months ago as well, have almost completely rebuilt it by hand myself, using nothing much more than eBay for parts and YouTube for tutorials... I highly recommend this to you. I spent £150 sending the deck off to a 'technician' firm in Brighton (who won't be named), who came at a high recommendation (they do Rinse.fm's decks). It was £150 wasted, and cost me £30 in courier charges each way. As for cleaning the platter-dots... use Brasso and window cleaner. Rinse repeat until it buffs back to new. Painting/sanding the body is a heavy job, and I would actually just recommend buying a new faceplate (Technics original or custom) from eBay and saving yourself a lot of service charges.
    Cheers for the advice, I don't mind doing some of it myself, its more having the cabinet painted, can see myself bodging that. Not a massive fan of the faceplates, and to buy new cabinets I think its rather pricey.

I've had one of them in bits already, as one had two zero's on the pitch. And just got myself a soldering iron to have a go at replacing one of the target lights and to replace the rca's.

I'll have a go with the brasso/window cleaner, cheers for the tip!
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus
    ...and to buy new cabinets I think its rather pricey.
    I might be able to help you there, mate... I've got TWO 1210mkII cabinets (metal/top part only) that have been stripped to bare metal and professionally sprayed white.

£120 + P&P for the pair.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I might be able to help you there, mate... I've got TWO 1210mkII cabinets (metal/top part only) that have been stripped to bare metal and professionally sprayed white.

£120 + P&P for the pair.
    Cheers for the offer Patch, but I would like to keep them the original black.

As much as I like the look of white 1210's I just prefer them in the original black.