Going Pro with the VCI-100
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Going Pro with the VCI-100

I'm new to the VCI-100, and any form of Traktor (After using Torq for the last year), but I had a few questions before going Pro.

-Is Traktor LE supposed to be this basic? I know it's just supposed to be a demo version, for people to try before they upgrade to Pro, but the thing I've noticed is that without the sync feature, it's really hard to drop a track right on the beat...Even with house music. Even with the sync feature doesn't seem to lock, and using the platter to beatmatch manually doesn't seem much easier.

-I understand that Traktor Pro has A LOT more upgrades as well as better sync'ing, and a more accurate beat grid...Is it just a simple downloading it, downloading the .TSI file from here http://www.djtechtools.com/midi-map/ And then loading them up and you're ready to go?

-Is it going to run well on my system? It's an HP G60 Notebook. Pentium Dual-Core T4200 @ 2.00GHz with 4.00GB of ram.

...And one last question, if I run it off an adapter, instead of USB power, will that free up some stress on the CPU in terms of latency, or just preventing it from freezing. And where can I get the adapter, or can I just use any adapter I find at an electronics store as long as it has the right voltage and the right connection?

Just making sure before I spend the $119US to go Pro.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by tokenasianguy; 10-05-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Tech Mentor

It pretty much is as simple as downloading it and grabbing the .tsi file!

You may not even have to download the new file, as you should be able to upgrade LE through the NI Support Center application,, which is also used for upgrading traktor.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Default Re: Going Pro with the VCI-100

dont look at beatmatching as a chore, it's (still in this world of sync) a valuae skill you may wish you had learned later on in your djing career. my advice is to master mixing without sync, without proper beatgrids, and make your drops spot on (although latency is a factor in this, so learn with the latency!) and I think you'll be much better off in the long run, as opposed to upgrading to tpro and syncing/gridding everything automatically.

but aside from that, tpro is pretty sweet.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    dont look at beatmatching as a chore, it's (still in this world of sync) a valuae skill you may wish you had learned later on in your djing career. my advice is to master mixing without sync, without proper beatgrids, and make your drops spot on (although latency is a factor in this, so learn with the latency!) and I think you'll be much better off in the long run, as opposed to upgrading to tpro and syncing/gridding everything automatically.

but aside from that, tpro is pretty sweet.
    Actually, I've been DJ'ing for the last 10 years, and started off playing just vinyl, so beatmatching is no problem whatsoever. Even on really poor quality equipment.

I've used a lot of different turntables, CD Players, Controllers, etc. and I find dropping a beat with the VCI to be the most difficult. Maybe I just need to play around with the latency settings, or the actual controller a little more, but it usually shouldn't take more than a dozen tries to get the hang of the timing of whatever technology you're using...And yet in my experience with the VCI-100 (albeit minimal: 1 day), it seems close to impossible to drop the beat perfectly on top of another beat.
    Last edited by tokenasianguy; 10-05-2009 at 02:59 PM.

how high/low is your latency at the moment, then?

Quote Originally Posted by sj03w4t View Post
    how high/low is your latency at the moment, then?
    40.5MS.

That's really high isn't it?

I'm new to the digital DJ'ing, but not new to vinyl CD DJ'ing, so latency is something I'm just starting to understand.

The thing is that I can't seem to change it. I've tried clicking on it, and that doesn't do anything.

Turns out there's a serious problem with the latency.

I just tried using the built-in soundcard on my computer, and it was so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    what external soundcard are you using?
    I'm using the Torq Connectiv sound card.

are you using ASIO drivers with your card?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast