job offer advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default job offer advice

I've been offered a weekly gig on weekends at a bar here in my local area that is opening up a giant dance floor and sound system soon. The problem is: While I'm not a stranger to having to play top 40 and mainstream hip hop / club cuts occasionally, the fact is I can't stand about 90% of that music. This gig would require me to spend a lot more time acquiring and getting familiar with mainstream hip hop, dance, and r&b. The money is good...but I sorta feel like I'll be selling my soul to the devil.

On one hand I think it'd be a good experience and make me a more versatile DJ, on the other hand I fear it could hurt my reputation that I've developed DJ'ing out here for the last 3 years. At the gigs I've been doing I've been able to mix in mostly my own style and flavor with good reception from the crowds. But I don't want to start being seen as only a "top 40 dj"...

I'm sure there's a lot of you on this forum who have been in this situation! Can anyone offer any advice or words of wisdom that might help me make this tough decision?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

This is an often asked question.
    Your gonna get people telling you that you are selling out if you play any music that you dont love.
    Your gonna get people telling you it doesnt matter what you play just make some money.

Theres no right answer. You have to do what your comfortable with but i will say that people who say you are selling out are WRONG.
    Djing is job as well as a labour of love.

You can be both:
    Ive just spent 2 hours preparing my set for tonite where im doing a student nite to 1000 peeps and im playing Top40 horse-shit. Some i like , most i hate.
    But im DJing (not pushing a pen around a desk) im having fun and im earning a a good amount. Just bought a new car , booked a holiday things are fine.

Have i sold out ?

Next month im DJing with James Holroyd who is Chemical Brothers Tour DJ and after that im playing with Switch and John Dahlback (not my scene but).

What im saying is you dont have to make a choice. You can do both and have good rep if your good at what you do.
    My Top40 night is fun to do cus i do it MY way not exactly the usual High Street club way. You can do Top40 and do it in an inventive way.
    You dont have to be 'that top40 DJ that everyone hates'

Do the gig , take the money and spend some of it on music you love and can play at better gigs. Spend the rest of the money having a nice life !!!

[i do draw the line at the Macarena and the Cha Cha Slide though teehee]

Karlos

Tech Mentor

If you need the money, you need the money. If you can afford to be picky, though, go ahead and be picky. If it were me, I'd take the job, but I'm a poor college student, and I need the money.

Plus: you could always drop some music that you love while playing all the top 40 crap. Those top 40 songs will only last you so long, and I'd be willing to bet that most people on the floor wouldn't mind hearing something new every now and then!
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

It's one night a week.

Do that for the cash and pick up another gig for the love of it.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Ugg i had to play cha cha slide many times before..... xP
    Just don't take it too personally. to me i think of Dave Chappelle's "when keeping it real goes wrong" When you tell those that offer you a job that you don't play that type of music b/c your keeping it real (lol) it's like a slap on the face to them. They need your experience and services and are worried about positive outcome of their customers. Many times i found starting off the night with more familiar songs tends to ease tension for diverse audience. Once you get people hyped up i find it really easy to try more my style music as long as it has a great vibe and tempo. One thing that has been told to me by djs that have been doing it longer than i have is get the girls on the dance floor. We guys tend to hover near the females and avoid the dancefloor like the plague without women. And a baby penguin will die because you couldn't get a girl to shake her ass! (except gay bars/clubs)
    Just remember your not selling out. Your just getting your name out and getting work. Your not out there for yourself, and you will learn the very important art of reading the crowd which many djs still can't do. (i've been outta it for a while so who knows about me) So good luck, try to have fun, and take whatever gig you can. Oh, and bring mixtapes err... cds to hand out to anybody interested.
    Last edited by chex; 10-05-2009 at 03:25 PM.
    3x sl-1200s, Rane Empath, KP3, Ineko, Serato SL1, TS-Pro, RP10s sub, Event TR8 monitors, Xiosynth, Nano Pad & Kontrol, VCI-100 1.3 djtt, 3x M44g, DT-770, Rp-DJ1200, 13" MBP 4GB 2.26 128GB Corsair P128 Solid State Drive.

Tech Wizard

perhaps use a different dj name for these evenings if you are still worried about it.

tk

Thanks y'all for the input. I accepted the job offer. I'd have been a fool not to. Now I just gotta start getting creative with it and make playing shit like Lady Gaga and Black Eyed Peas and fun as possible. Good thing I got my VCI-100 SE!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Good man.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by timgkelly View Post
    perhaps use a different dj name for these evenings
    I would do this personally!

Have some fun with it though, look to something like 2manyDJ's "As Heard On Radio Soulwax Pt. 2" for some inspiration when dealing with Top 40 tracks. Remember you don't need to keep it all straight up, if you're going to do it then mess it up and have a good time with it!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealCasewag View Post
    Thanks y'all for the input. I accepted the job offer. I'd have been a fool not to. Now I just gotta start getting creative with it and make playing shit like Lady Gaga and Black Eyed Peas and fun as possible. Good thing I got my VCI-100 SE!

Keep your ears open for good oddball remixes of the top 40 stuff. The people get a song they know, you get beats more friendly to your ears. I dont know how many mixes of Day N Night I have heard, but seriously I almost spit my drink all over when I heard a dj and DnB night drop a DnB remix of it.
    2 x Techinics 1200 mkIIs, SL1, Pioneer DJM-500, Novation Dicer, Stanton 680 carts, Acer Aspire 1410 11" Netbook
    ----------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/djlokifl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast