The thing stopping me from going Digital
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default The thing stopping me from going Digital

I would like to go fully digital, get a 4D/VCI SE and get into the 4 deck mixing.

But it's painful beatgridding 2k tracks, has no-one designed a program that can do this accuratley yet lol.

I suppose there's a risk of loosing your beatgrids too when doing a Traktor update?

I could always send my tracks to Ableton to be beatgridded for me. Think i saw a post on this here recently. Does anyone know if there are any downfalls to doing that apart from not learning myself? It just gives me a headstart

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Nope, there is no program that can accurately do this. And there isn't a risk of losing the grids when updating Traktor.

It's not as bad as it looks. Eventually you'll be able to grid an average track in under 20 seconds. But yeah, the main reason to do it is not to learn, but for security. If you're focused on 4 deck mixing, the last thing you want to happen is drop a poorly gridded song into the deck and have the mix just collapse.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

if you don't like beatgridding just learn how to use the pitchbend and tempo fader like how you would on analogue tables. I used to do it that way exclusively but realised it took less time beatgridding than it did to get comfortable with my songs to the point that i could beatmatch them manually.

yeah

i think both points are pretty accurate,

For one, if its mostly EDM or dance music of any sort it'll probably have a fairly recognizable beat and probably be gridded accurately anyway.

Once you have a little practice you can often set a grid up pretty quickly. If I come across a track that I haven't gridded then as long as i'm not doing any extra quick jumping between songs i can usually grid it there and then before i start the mix. Remember the time taken to grid it is then saved from the time it'd take to manually beat match it without a grid so its pretty much 50/50.

And as said, at the end of the day you should always keep your hand in at manually beatmatching just in case.

k

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmcdonough View Post
    For one, if its mostly EDM or dance music of any sort it'll probably have a fairly recognizable beat and probably be gridded accurately anyway.
    Incorrect, no program can correctly grid even tracks that have a 4 on the floor beat. The tempo is usually slightly off and the phase is incorrect >=(

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Rarely, if ever, does any BPM detection I've used catch the tempo to the .00. Usually it's to the .99 or to the .01, and that's when it's not 20 or 30 bpm off, and that just gets frustrating.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Beatgrid as you go. It's like when you digitise vinyl. I got over 2,000 records but i certainly didn't dig them all. I just did the essentials and if i ever crave a tune I digitse it. But I don't have enough time to listen / play my new music anyway.

Soz off topic.

what i'm saying is i wouldn't let that stop you going digital, it's a minor hurdle not something you will care that passioantly about. You can always manually beatmatch tunes or just grid it there and then. Once you get the hang it's pretty straight forward.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Beatgridding a recorded vinyl is pretty impossible anyway as you get drift alot of the time, just to throw another spin on this topic.
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Default Re: The thing stopping me from going Digital

it seems like a huge task now (I'm in the process of gridding my dubstep collection finally), but once you're done, you're done! if you grid as you go from then on you'll never have to do it again (unless something goes horribly wrong)
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Incorrect, no program can correctly grid even tracks that have a 4 on the floor beat. The tempo is usually slightly off and the phase is incorrect >=(
    hey

mine seem to be ok

LOL, on i'd say about 90% of the dance music in my collection it's recognised and gridded it accurately on its own. Its only with the rock/guitar stuff and all the older cheesy and top 40 stuff where the beat is far less accurate that i have a problem and usually have to manually grid.

I do totally understand the pitfalls of expecting software to be able to recognise and grid beats properly, but thats just my experience maybe i've just been lucky.

k

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast