Hi. The VU meter on my mixer is lighting up higher on the right channel than on the left. This is happening with both turntables. It's always ahead by about 1dB.

I switched around the RCA cables (left cable to right input, and right cable to left input) and then the left channel was ahead by 1dB. So this lead me to believe that there was something wrong with both of the right RCAs.

However, I also tried switching around the tiny pin cables that go into the Shure cartridge. Again, I switched the right to left, and the left to right. Doing this also lead to lead to the led channel being ahead by 1dB. So does this rule out an RCA problem. Surely if there was a problem with the RCA it would be consistent?

Finally, I just read that there can be a 2dB stereo imbalance with the Shure's. If that's the case is this a normal 'problem' that I should just ignore?

To make things even more confusing, I just sold an old mixer that DID have an imbalance in the sound. The right side of the meter was showing higher, whether I was using a TT, a CD deck or a soundcard. This means that I don't know how long I've had this problem, because I was always used to the right meter being ahead. So perhaps the Shure's have been like that all along but I just wasn't aware of it.

I'd appreciator your help with this. It's driving me nuts.