How should i select tunes for a targeted mixtape?

Default How should i select tunes for a targeted mixtape?

Hey everyone, i'm trying to send a mixtape in the direction of a couple of promotors to try and pick up some gigs. When selecting tracks should i include a wide arrange of styles (eg. tech, deep and bass/jackin') or specifically select a particular area to hone a sound in on. Which would make me seem a stronger artist?

Cheers for the help

Cater your mixtape to the party/concept you want to get booked by. Stop by when they have a night if you haven't already and get a sense for the vibe/atmosphere and what tunes get played. And voila now you know what tunes are appropriate.

Bonus pro tip: include enough unique tracks that stand out and stay away from generic ones.

Source: having gone through dozens of mixtapes deciding which DJs we should book

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    Stop by when they have a night if you haven't already and get a sense for the vibe/atmosphere and what tunes get played. And voila now you know what tunes are appropriate.
    Once you know what tunes are appropiate, try and find the same tunes but in a style you like that is agreeable with the vibe they are trying to set. You want to be able to play to the club's audience while displaying your sound.

I have found this formula works well in a ten minute mix

Start off with seamless easy transitions that raise the engery steadily for 3 minutes, next display your technical skill and mixing speed for 4 minutes take the engery of the mix to a peak finally for the last 3 minutes bring the engery down with more seamless transitions.

This will show the promoter three very important facts that go into choosing Dj. It will display that you have the ability to open, headline or close, understand how to control the engery of your sets effectively creating atmosphere and that you know how to structure your sets.

Hope this helps

Put the names of tracks on little pieces of paper and pull 'em out of a hat.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Noriddim View Post
    I have found this formula works well in a ten minute mix
    I strongly recommend you do not send out 10 minute mixes to promotors.
    But that's just my opinion.

Tech Mentor

I agree with others about track selection. But, ten minute mix tapes are shit. They are too rushed. Show them that you can build a set
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Olsgaard/
    House/Techno Dj from Denmark

Damn what promoters hire you based on a mix, send em my way lol

Tech Mentor

Ten minutes is what most promoters will listen to these days well at least where I'm from hell they usually don't listen to the mix but that's another subject.

Ten minutes or even fifteen minutes is good enough. You can fit 7-10 songs in that time which is more than adequate to leave an impression on some one. Think of it as a mashup.

Tech Guru

Focus on the music your most passionate about and know the best it will show in the mix.

But then again who really gets booked off the back of a mix? I wouldn't bother doing one, instead

Go to the events start chatting to people involved, be seen there showing your support, eventually just blag yourself a set.

And to the 10 minute mix thing, avoid, what a load of sh*t.

Did you read what genres the OP played, 7 deep/tech house tracks in ten minutes??
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

target them