How to run a Charity concert
    Tech Wizard

Default How to run a Charity concert

Hey Guys,

I was wondering how would one be able to get funding to run a charity concert. i guess what im having trouble with is the fact that im not sure if I can use the donations given to me from companies to pay to put on the concert. and then all the left over money and all the revenue from that concert going to the orgization. is that legal? if now how could i generate money to put it on?

Tech Wizard

Make it clear up front to the companies involved that their money will be going towards the production costs in return for their sponsorship ie their branding being plastered everywhere.
    Supply them with detailed costings and you shouldn't have any problems with it. It's pretty normal for that to be the case and they are getting goodwill advertising by being associated with a worthy cause

Tech Wizard

When you say detailed costing, are you talking about the cost of stage and lighting or is it the amount of money they will be donation to get a spot for adverting and or a vending booth?

Tech Wizard

Both

You should be running a spreadsheet with a full breakdown of all costs from venue hire, sound, lighting & decor to artists & riders
    This should also show how much you aim to raise through hiring stall pitches and sponsorship

You need to show how much you'll need to breakeven with anything over that going to the charity

That breakeven figure can be part or fully funded by your sponsors but if it's only part funded you need to be able to show how many people you need through the door to make that figure given the ticket price you want to set

Allow for contingency funds in case you need to get anything in at short notice (or your headline artist breaks down 10mi from the venue and you need to get him a taxi sharpish)

After the event use that spreadsheet and add in any extra costs to workout exactly how much the charity is owed, pay it in and get a receipt then send that info the companies involved so they know everything was all above board and legit.

Get invoices/receipts for everything cos if someone comes knocking they'll want proof you weren't ripping anyone off

Providing these and your spreadsheet tally properly you'll have no issues

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyDave View Post
    Both

You should be running a spreadsheet with a full breakdown of all costs from venue hire, sound, lighting & decor to artists & riders
    This should also show how much you aim to raise through hiring stall pitches and sponsorship

You need to show how much you'll need to breakeven with anything over that going to the charity

That breakeven figure can be part or fully funded by your sponsors but if it's only part funded you need to be able to show how many people you need through the door to make that figure given the ticket price you want to set

Allow for contingency funds in case you need to get anything in at short notice (or your headline artist breaks down 10mi from the venue and you need to get him a taxi sharpish)

After the event use that spreadsheet and add in any extra costs to workout exactly how much the charity is owed, pay it in and get a receipt then send that info the companies involved so they know everything was all above board and legit.

Get invoices/receipts for everything cos if someone comes knocking they'll want proof you weren't ripping anyone off

Providing these and your spreadsheet tally properly you'll have no issues
    Thank you!! this is exactly what i was looking for, it is a great help to me.