To "Make It" should DJs move to big cities? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ConnectControl View Post
    This.
    Personally, i'd rather try to establish a scene in my hometown or somewhere the scene is lacking. Rather than go to the over-saturated birthplaces of the genres you like, why not pioneer that specific music scene wherever you already are?
    mmmm true but at the same time establishing a scene like that in a town were there isn't already one is very difficult. you truly need to be exceptional at what you do to cause that kind of impact. i would say its a mixture of both. example: im a moombahton producer in an area where NO-ONE listens to moombahton. as a result i get little to no work as a DJ around here. granted my production skills need a lot of improvment, but are not any worse than several of the ppl i kno whom ARE getting work around me. to sum up i would say connections and location are very important and indeed necessary to be successful, but if you don't have the skill anyways neither are helpful.

Tech Convert

To make it describes the end point, djing is about passion and loving what you do - the journey.

If you are passionate about it people will notice wherever you are and you will do ok, If you say make it as in be a dj superstar then you probably wont make it - only a small few do but if by make it you mean make a living doing what you love just keep working hard and be patient, eventually you will get there, it may take a few years but thats what separates the dreamers from the passionate workers.

You need to let your enthusiasm shine through,always be positive, it rubs off on the people around you they have a good time and remember you for it.

Dont just stand there and mix get into the atmosphere build the atmosphere and the ball will soon start rolling

Quote Originally Posted by grazz16 View Post
    I speak from no experience here whatsoever other than what I've observed but imo its essentially impossible to "make it" if you aren't a producer. You will only get so far playing other peoples music, largely because anyone and their uncle can mix tracks they didn't write. Unless you are a serious controllerist throwing together insane routines, there are countless DJ's trying to "make it" playing the exact same tracks. You may throw together a good set and be known as a good DJ, get gigs, and all that, but you will never be Armin van Buuren big which is what I assume you mean by "making it".

But start writing originals and build a fan base that likes your music, and suddenly its other DJ's playing your tunes. That gives you credibility, and then they just might come to see the guy who wrote it drop it at a gig...and only YOU can give them that.

Looks like we all better get over to the producers forum :P
    Cheers mate and also to the OP

I myself speak from an immense amount of experience in both hip hop- growing up in Queens,NY, dance- living 7 years in 7 different countries and just leaving Miami after 10 years.

The game has changed but the grind hasn't. Djs have become conditioned to think that producing is the way to the top. It is for the most part but what we see today is not reality. Many djs are a brand and have 5-10 people working for them. Producing has become as djing is today. Everyone is producing and so many dj turned producers have countless of productions on beatport. Some have even up to 4 pages of singles. But, because of them not being well traveled or willing to seek beyond their culture, they aren't collaborating with international djs on mixes. There are so many ways to go about this game today but it comes back to your brand and who is working for you and WITH YOU.

But, lets be extremely open minded just for the sake of discussion given that there are some that become huge without having first developing a local following. Is there an actual formula? I mean to be fair.

I do not personally know of a world trotter that wasn't a local grinder. However, I have seen some that have landed their first gig at major venues and continued the grind locally but at major venues that also played host to international acts which helped on both levels. The local to get gigs or get signed and the guest to play at some of the other venues the local played at.

As CEOs of our dj business or high risk booking agents that we should consider ourselves to be as part of the industry, does it benefit our company to have a local grinder that has built an international buzz, or one that created an international buzz without an immediate local following. Or does it even matter?

I will use a Patrick M. He started off as a record store clerk then got his fist gig at Nikki Beach Miami. From there he would guest at major venues and eventually landing a gig at the world Famous Club Space Miami. This is where he played host to Erick Morrillo. They became friends and erick had him open at different gigs overseas. Then Patrick was signed to stereo dj agency and only then did he start to produce as he didn't have to because he was a resident at one of the most famous clubs in the world- club space miami. He got signed with stereo and started gigging overseas. However, he also needed a local booking agent. Why? Because although djs chus, David penn, and all those guys gigged overseas, it is more expensive to fly Patrick from Miami to all these countries year round. Therefore, it is a good thing he has a local following because that is his bread and butter along with a monthly at space.

There are so many factors involved to include what type of sound you have and which agency signs you. These agencies have their own reliable connections and it is not always the best venues... Same as any business- there are levels in that some have it better than others- as in "contacts".

But look at cedrick gervais- monster. But he is French from Miami that was also a resident of club space. He is still local but now does more domestic gigs with non-compete clauses. He is not always globe trotting. And when they do- Its a tour to fit in as many clubs as possible for less. So if h have a local dj that has good local connects, that helps more!!!!

As for moving to a major city, if you have the means, if you are one to network and go to clubs every week to meed with the resident djs and sit in the dj booth while keeping quiet and learning hoping that one day you will get a chance to open. You have to put your guard down and accept that you will start from scratch but in a bigger city, have more opportunity to learn from resident djs that have pull and have regular gigs. You will be able to connect with them on a social level and develop relationships. This will then help you to move forward.

But, I know many djs that know so many djs in high positions but they don't make it cause they don't have the it factors, the look, the swag. But I have friends like Dave Sol at Story Miami that doesn't produce but opens up as a resident dj for the biggest names in dance like Steve Angelo, Axwell, but he doesn't produce but wants to- and will have all these big djs to support once he starts..... He is in his early 30s.

So again, it is a grind and there are different levels of grind- you can make music like Armin but do you have his grind, his fortitude to be a star, travel and live out of suitcases, can you keep it up? Not everyone wants that and you have to identify who you are before you take on something to big and fall because you bit more you could chew....

Lastly- it goes back to grind- producing is one aspect but as Tiesto said this past November- all these djs play their own music for 90 minutes, go home but can't dj worth a lick- you want to be that dude only in it for the money and fame or are you a grinder in it for the love and to touch other people....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12