To "Make It" should DJs move to big cities?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default To "Make It" should DJs move to big cities?

Or do you think in this day 'n age its all about production and getting your name out via the internet?

I have a buddy who DJs who is contemplating moving to LA or NYC to get his name out but I told him to focus on his production and continue making a name in our city (which is what I'm doing)

just feeding my curiosity. Thoughts?

Probably the latter. Living in a big city won't mean shit if you have nothing to show people. You can contact any sort of label or agency online nowadays anyway. Talent and innovation should speak for themselves on a demo.

Yeah get into the big city, rub shoulders with people, feel the full extent of the competition and no where you stand relative to it, tap into the culture and push it into your music, be inspired.

My suggestion is that you start producing; it's just really, really difficult to "make it" as a DJ these days unless you play top 40. Top 40 DJs, if they're good, can have multiple residencies, play 3-5 times a week, and get paid well for it all. If you're a house DJ, production is where it's out. Grind it out in the bedroom so you can get booked at gigs that pay thousands of dollars rather than local ones where you'll be lucky if you make $75.

I was thinking moving to Berlin, I do believe in bigger city where scene of your liking is more alive than in a small town, for example I live in Northern Ireland, and deep-house/tech-house/techno is dead here, so moving somewhere with more alive scene is big yes, yes, thus you can make more connections going to events, talking to people, of course if you know where you stand DJing/Producing wise

but you can champion a sound in a smaller area and start a scene that can become something else. If you live in a quiet area build it (don't put it on every week) and they will come. It really is all about production if you want fame though.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Depends how small and how many influential people live in your area.

I come from a small town, but the amount of electronic artists to come out of here is astounding.

A lot of this scene isn't how good you are at all.. its who you know, who is promoting the events.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MockusD View Post
    I was thinking moving to Berlin, I do believe in bigger city where scene of your liking is more alive than in a small town, for example I live in Northern Ireland, and deep-house/tech-house/techno is dead here, so moving somewhere with more alive scene is big yes, yes, thus you can make more connections going to events, talking to people, of course if you know where you stand DJing/Producing wise
    Just remember:

In Berlin everyone and their mother is making music. Also, since you will be the one who just moved there, everyone and their mom will have better connections than you.

I speak from no experience here whatsoever other than what I've observed but imo its essentially impossible to "make it" if you aren't a producer. You will only get so far playing other peoples music, largely because anyone and their uncle can mix tracks they didn't write. Unless you are a serious controllerist throwing together insane routines, there are countless DJ's trying to "make it" playing the exact same tracks. You may throw together a good set and be known as a good DJ, get gigs, and all that, but you will never be Armin van Buuren big which is what I assume you mean by "making it".

But start writing originals and build a fan base that likes your music, and suddenly its other DJ's playing your tunes. That gives you credibility, and then they just might come to see the guy who wrote it drop it at a gig...and only YOU can give them that.

Looks like we all better get over to the producers forum :P

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Just remember:

In Berlin everyone and their mother is making music. Also, since you will be the one who just moved there, everyone and their mom will have better connections than you.
    This.
    Personally, i'd rather try to establish a scene in my hometown or somewhere the scene is lacking. Rather than go to the over-saturated birthplaces of the genres you like, why not pioneer that specific music scene wherever you already are?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast