Moved from controller to cdjs but need advise! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Still, if you can beat match by ear and categorise your music this is a complete waste if time.

The only reason to go from a controller to CDJs with out software capabilities is to DJ the "old" way which is to learn your tracks and beat match by ear. Otherwise get yourself traktor scratch and use tc CDs
    Not really. There are a ton of reasons to move to a hardware setup, like getting rid of the problems laptops cause, or just generally simplifying your setup. Having track analysis info catalogued is an extremely useful tool, and takes a lot of the guesswork and arduousness out of a software-free setup. Hence why Rekordbox exists, and why CDJ-1000's have had that capability since the beginning.

To OP, stick an SD card in the slot on the front of your deck, and put a CD in the deck. Let the BPM counter do it's thing, and let it finish drawing the waveform, then repeat this for all the tracks on a CD. Steadily do this with your CD library (it's meant to be done over time as you play the CDs), and when it's finished, duplicate the card with the few button presses that's on pg 21 of the manual. Congratz, the tempo, cue, and waveform data for your entire collection is stored on those two cards, and pull up automatically when you load them.

Manual: http://pioneerdj.com/support/files/DRB1397B.pdf

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Not really. There are a ton of reasons to move to a hardware setup, like getting rid of the problems laptops cause, or just generally simplifying your setup. Having track analysis info catalogued is an extremely useful tool, and takes a lot of the guesswork and arduousness out of a software-free setup. Hence why Rekordbox exists, and why CDJ-1000's have had that capability since the beginning.

To OP, stick an SD card in the slot on the front of your deck, and put a CD in the deck. Let the BPM counter do it's thing, and let it finish drawing the waveform, then repeat this for all the tracks on a CD. Steadily do this with your CD library (it's meant to be done over time as you play the CDs), and when it's finished, duplicate the card with the few button presses that's on pg 21 of the manual. Congratz, the tempo, cue, and waveform data for your entire collection is stored on those two cards, and pull up automatically when you load them.

Manual: http://pioneerdj.com/support/files/DRB1397B.pdf
    Exacly.

Still, if you can beat match by ear and categorise your music this is a complete waste if time.
    Please watch the video on post #16.
    This technique you call "a waste of time" is also called "categorising music".
    I invite you to re-read the posts #6, #8 and #10 to understand how DJs that play with CDs categorise their music.

The only reason to go from a controller to CDJs with out software capabilities is to DJ the "old" way which is to learn your tracks and beat match by ear. Otherwise get yourself traktor scratch and use tc CDs
    Actually I believe some DJs don't want and don't need to deal with the problems caused by softwares (either bugs/errors while performing or simply too much gear to use).
    Some DJs can play flawlessly and with no tension on CDJs (the "old" way like you say) just like it was a software + controller setup.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Tech Mentor

You can export a text file from MIK to Excel, or print straight from MIK. Perhaps print a couple, one sorted by key, one by BPM... pop them in a folder and away you go!

Re: Organizing. Not exactly the romantic side of being a DJ, is it? My new years resolution entails [finally] settling on a system of tagging my tracks and 1.) Actually doing it for X minutes a day until its done and 2.) Doing it without fail for each new track. So far I've gotten through 500+... tedious but not exactly boring, so long as you like your music. The tagging can get as deep as you need and it is quite nice to have it properly sorted. I will say this, if there was ever incentive to back up your library... spending a zillion hours and brain cells cataloging does it for me.

Re: You "beat match by ear" types. You crack me up. It's like the ol' "I don't play anything but Techs, you Stanton guys suck..." Good grief, it's not rocket surgery and it doesn't take much to learn, if you are putting in the effort. I think it is a lot more gratifying and engaging to play manually, but that little (bpm) sync button is plenty bueno with 3-4 decks! FWIW, I think we should have a no "sync speak" zone. Nothing good ever comes from it.

Anyway, I say good on you for ditching the performance computer. Among other things, it means you have established your own personal standard. I did it, er... am doing it. Making eye contact with your guests on the dance floor is so much more effective than wave riding... rather amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    There is no information in this thread that indicates the OP doesn't know how to beatmatch by ear.
    The most likely reason for creating the thread is explained on replies #6, #8 and #10.
    I like your style- great observation, decisive, and to the point! We definitely need a rep system.

Next up...

How to take all your CDs and get them turned into vinyl dubplates... then how to categorise them with coloured record labels to know their genre and bpm.

Whatever man, obviously people have different work flows and that's cool if you want to know bpms on your Cds. Also people used to play their records with a keyboard next to them to work out key... but computer does that now.

I was flippantly making the point that technology is moving in another direction, be it USB sticks and rekordbox or software Traktor / Serato etc.

It just seems like if you want to retain stuff that rekordbox or software will do for you then maybe a more technologically forward thinking approach and set up is the answer. In fact you had it with a controller?

That Armin Van Burin video is from 2009 btw... He defo doesn't take a CD wallet with him anymore.

Anyway, I was being unhelpful for sure... Everyman do their ting a liccle way different.

Hopefully you found you answers from the other man here.

Peas
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Next up...

How to take all your CDs and get them turned into vinyl dubplates... then how to categorise them with coloured record labels to know their genre and bpm.

Whatever man, obviously people have different work flows and that's cool if you want to know bpms on your Cds. Also people used to play their records with a keyboard next to them to work out key... but computer does that now.

I was flippantly making the point that technology is moving in another direction, be it USB sticks and rekordbox or software Traktor / Serato etc.

It just seems like if you want to retain stuff that rekordbox or software will do for you then maybe a more technologically forward thinking approach and set up is the answer. In fact you had it with a controller?

That Armin Van Burin video is from 2009 btw... He defo doesn't take a CD wallet with him anymore.

Anyway, I was being unhelpful for sure... Everyman do their ting a liccle way different.

Hopefully you found you answers from the other man here.

Peas
    You make a great point. There is too much contradiction nowadays. Djs want to be able to move forward with technology but at the same time "keep the original feel of djing".. The original definition of djing "by ear" was used as a challenge so djs wouldn't write bpms on the record. But now with cdjs and visual aid like bpm on screens and software, we are so used to it and they are not going away but further advancing. So it doesn't make sense to revert back to old school ways and disrupt your work flow "just to be cool or a real dj" So I totally agree, we all have different work flows.

I suggest going the tedius route of placing them in traktor or the MixMeister BPM Analyzer.

Also, people forget that there are so many different types of djs out there. ITS NOT ONLY DANCE DJ. Open format djs play hip hop, R&B, rock, Latin, Reggae, Dance, and Freestyle- dating back to 1970s. Many dance djs specialize to only 2 genres and don't even play songs older than 2 years. It is so hard as an open format dj to "know your records" if you have so much music dating back so long....

Tech Guru

It's beautiful to see the technology evolving and to be part of it.
    The ones who play with no software should be thankful for the ones who do, because this ones are making possible for the technology to evolve faster.
    Also, the ones who do play with softwares should be thankful for the ones who do not, because this ones created all the basis for the complex algorithms softwares use.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Honestly I have no need to know (ie write down) the bpms of my tunes. This isn't me giving large, it's the truth. I used vinyl for 10-15 years. Tunes mixed together by ear and I would just know that certain records were either up or down tempo records cause I got to know my music.

I can tell if a tune is roughly 120 bpm or 125bpm and if it's somewhere in between I can mix em by ear with each other. Songs within their genre tend to be similar bpm so beat matching ain't really a thing. Hip Hop was always varied but again practise mixes at home, listen carefully and you could work it out.

This to me should be a standard Dj skill.

Nowadays I play out using traktor and I leave sync on most of the time and just nudge the phase to my liking. I'm not gonna sell traktor and move backwards to some 2009 tech. Makes no sense to me is all... But if I did I would embrace the challenge that comes with the "old way"

But as I say that's just where I was coming from and didn't mean to be unhelpful

Safely
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Honestly I have no need to know (ie write down) the bpms of my tunes. This isn't me giving large, it's the truth. I used vinyl for 10-15 years. Tunes mixed together by ear and I would just know that certain records were either up or down tempo records cause I got to know my music.

Nowadays I play out using traktor and I leave sync on most of the time and just nudge the phase to my liking. I'm not gonna sell traktor and move backwards to some 2009 tech. Makes no sense to me is all... But if I did I would embrace the challenge that comes with the "old way"
    So the answer is either "Do it entirely by hand" or "Have a computer entirely do it for you"? I wasn't aware that having catalogued BPM data was "2009 tech"...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast