Lost some iTunes metadata when moving library to a new computer

Default Lost some iTunes metadata when moving library to a new computer

Sorry for all the threads, but nobody answered this question and I couldn't find one online so I figured it deserved it's own thread.

I recently moved my iTunes library from one laptop to another, and noticed that I lost some of the artists names, genres, etc that I spent so much time inputting. I have iTunes set to "organize library" and update all the ID3 tags to the most recent, but once I initiated iTunes in the new computer it told me that some of my tracks were missing. On further investigation it seemed that well over 100 of them lost the metadata and are listed as "track 1" or just have the incorrect genre, name or artist.

This has happened pretty much everytime I've switched computers but I never cared that much because I just put in the time to do it over again, but recently I've had to switch machines more than ever and I'm wondering if there's a way to make the transfer of an entire library and the associated metadata more seamless.

I am not sure how you will recover as I have not done the research for your exact case.

But for future purpose- (i suspect you didn't in the first place) you need to save all your itunes folders the same way in an external folder. Create the folders and just copy/paste the music from folder to folder after the tags have been created. This way, your mac can crash and burn but you will have the tracks and reload the SAME FOLDERS with the tags... Delicious!!!!!

All you will need to do is when you "add to library" you create the tags and they will automatically be set in the music and the separate hard drive. You should (finances permitting) also have another hard drive tucked away at home that you update to every month with the same folders and music just in case that your daily external hard drive falls or gets corrupted. keeping music in your computer will cause the "throwing away the baby with the bath water" situation.

Like I said, I don't know how you can recover from this but just take this weekend, rebuild the tags and SAVE THE NEW CREATED FOLDERS THE SAME AS YOUR ITUNES ARE SAVED BUT INTO A PORTABLE hard drive (if finances permit).

It will be an extra set every time you upload new music but it will save you the heart attack and that feeling you have right now like you lost something you will never ever get back...

Btw, the best thing about that approach is that your folders will be organized so that if you go to a club and have to use USB, your folders will be set!

1) copy the iTunes folder across
    2) find the file called "iTunes Library" that has no extension. Its in the same folder as a file called "iTunes Library.xml".
    3) Copy this file in the same folder.
    4) name the copy "iTunes Library.itl" in other words give it a file extension of "itl"
    5) Find your iTunes icon on your desktop
    6) hold the shift key down, do not release it
    7) double click on the icon using your mouse
    8) iTunes will ask you to use a different library
    9) browse to the folder containing your itl file created earlier and select the file
    10) voila - your mac library is now working in windows.
    You may also get more detail from this tutorial
    How to Transfer iTunes Library to New Computer
    Last edited by JeanLauri; 12-22-2016 at 03:29 AM.

Tech Student

This is a potential bug in iTunes and can be fixed by upgrading iTunes to the latest version.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by JeanLauri View Post
    2) find the file called "iTunes Library" that has no extension. Its in the same folder as a file called "iTunes Library.xml".
    4) name the copy "iTunes Library.itl" in other words give it a file extension of "itl"
    9) browse to the folder containing your itl file created earlier and select the file
    How to Transfer iTunes Library to New Computer
    There is no need to use third party app now. Apple released a music transfer app called Move to iOS, Which performs better than other apps.

In fact, it's a headache for people who want to transfer iTunes Library to a new computer, because Apple just allows users to bought a new computer from iTunes Store.

So, if we don't want to lose the music and videos which from other sources, we need to get the help of some software to transfer your whole iTunes Library to your new computer directly without lossing anything.

Here are some existing ways can fix the problem with iPhone Transfer. It based on a few steps which you can use to transfer data, and it also can reduce the risk of losing files, especially songs and videos got from other sources not iTunes Store.

See more on how to transfer itunes library to another computer.

Besides, with this tool, you may also restore your iTunes Library.

Just free download to have a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie Zollner View Post
    In fact, it's a headache for people who want to transfer iTunes Library to a new computer, because Apple just allows users to bought a new computer from iTunes Store.

So, if we don't want to lose the music and videos which from other sources, we need to get the help of some software to transfer your whole iTunes Library to your new computer directly without lossing anything.

Here are some existing ways can fix the problem with iPhone Transfer. It based on a few steps which you can use to transfer data, and it also can reduce the risk of losing files, especially songs and videos got from other sources not iTunes Store.

With iPhone Assistant tool, you can also manage your files on computer easily
    Last edited by Kiyomi; 02-21-2017 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie Zollner View Post

Thanks your answer , we have a lot of way to recover iPhone data ,

Quote Originally Posted by JeanLauri View Post
    Moreover, we can extract iTunes backup data after the iPhone data has been synced to computer
    Thanks for you sharing your method about how to transfer iTunes Library to new computer , but the original poster data may not be lost when transferring , do you have some way to help he?
    Last edited by Annaker; 06-12-2017 at 12:52 AM.