Wanna-Be Dj.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanna-Be Dj.

Default Wanna-Be Dj.

Hey guys... I turn 18 the 15th, and going to pick up a New laptop. Thinking about dropping some money on a mac...

Anyways, I have had a real love for music for awhile now. My uncle even use to be a Dj. I thought with going into college next year, and parents don't want me to have a job, djing would be a good alternative. Do a party every so often for some extra change.

1 problem

I don't even know where to start.

What hardware is required.
    What software is required.
    How to stay cheap, but efficient and so on.

Can anyone give me a bit of a lesson?

Bare minimum is a laptop, (see system specs of the software you want to buy, any new laptop should do the trick) some mixing software, ($99 for Traktor or Serato I believe?) some digital files and being good at pressing the right keys on your keyboard at the right time, although headphones would come in handy as well. You can move up from there..

What would be a good set up for house parties?

Tech Mentor

Being cheap and DJing is becoming the norm today. This is not the cheapest hobby, but there are ways around it if you cannot or do not want to spend money. You just may not get the full experience. In my opinion, nothing is better than turntables and a mixer. However, you can purchase a controller and software (Serato,Traktor) and have decent control over your mixes. Maybe you should save money by buying a used or refurbished Mac, then spend some money on a controller. You will need a laptop, controller/software, headphones for a minimum. If you are smart about it you can save a lot by looking on the forums here, or on ebay/CL. I have found my share of equipment from there.

Check out the show your setup section for many permutations of people's equipment, and get a feel for what you like. There's people like me that have huge setups http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=49085, people who just went for an all-in-one controller like the Traktor Kontrol S4, and everything in between.

There are essentially three ways to go -

1. Decks and a Mixer

2. DVS

3. Controllers

For decks and a mixer, you'll need decks and a mixer and records. The decks can be turntables or CDJs.

For DVS, you'll need decks, a computer, and either a particular mixer or any mixer and a particular soundcard.
    This is the most complete option.
    (This is actually not quite as expensive as some people feel it is - buying the Traktor Kontrol Z2 will get you going with a great mixer/controller, a copy of Traktor Scratch Pro 2, and the control records. Used Technics 1200s/1210s can be had for about $600/pair if you look hard.)

For the third option, you could just need a computer and a controller - the S4 is popular, controls most functions of Traktor out of the box, and comes with Traktor Pro 2.

But technically, you don't need decks, mixer or even a controller. You can start out with just a laptop, software and some audio files. Some people on this site got started that way and I did a few mixes that way as well before branching out to a controller. It's more difficult, but it can be done to start - or save you money if after doing it for a bit you don't feel like it's for you.

And beware, this is an expensive addictive hobby. (or actual job for some) I've gone from laptop with headphones to S4 controller with monitors, to 2 different sets of turntables and finally to a full-blown mixer with multiple sets of headphones all throughout. That's not to mention the records and digital files I've purchased. Thank God I'm divorced and don't need to worry about S.O.'s shoe purchases.

Buy whatever laptop you desire. Then go here Free DJ software for begineers. And Find your music at places like: Beatport, Itunes, trackitdown, juno, audiojelly, traxsource...

worry about controllers and all that later...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00412...pi=SL500_SS115
    And
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002MV...ims_6?pi=SS115
    And a laptop
    $200, you get software, an audio interface, and a mixer.

Tech Wizard

I think it's worth looking into MIDI Mapping if you're going down the controller path, getting something that can work with different software can payoff quite a bit later on if you want to try more creative stuff with your controller.
    Soundcloud -https://soundcloud.com/zandatsusoiree/dicking-around-in-d-b
    Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zandatsu-Soiree/150742301698202

Quote Originally Posted by JonnoI View Post
    I think it's worth looking into MIDI Mapping if you're going down the controller path, getting something that can work with different software can payoff quite a bit later on if you want to try more creative stuff with your controller.
    What advantage is there to midi mapping your controller? Most controllers have all the things you'd need and more off the start.

Goodluck trying to map to Serato without it being Serato certified. Lmao.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast