Routing sound through my controller?
    Tech Convert

Default Routing sound through my controller?

Hi all,

So, I have a question about routing sound. I am wondering if it is possible to run the sound on my computer through my DJ controller. To expand...I have sound running to my speakers fine, through both Serato and Traktor. But I am wondering if it is possible to route the sound coming from other programs (specifically from SoundCloud (via Chrome) or Logic Pro). Does anybody know if this is possible, and if so how?

I've tried adjusting my Sound settings in preferences (OS X) to "Play sound effects through: DDJ-SX controller" to no avail.

The setup I am running (if these facts matter or not, not sure): DDJ-SX Controller, MBProR (USB to controller), Rokit Speakers, connected to DDJ-SX via XLR.

If anyone has any help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks all.

Tech Wizard

Yep, you can. I'm at work and not on my Mac right now, but I'll try to run you through it by memory.

With everything on, you want to hold the "Option" button and click on the speaker icon in your top toolbar. You'll then select to have sound output through the DDJ-SX. The volume will then be controlled via the master output on the DDJ-SX.

I'm not sure if Logic works the same as Ableton for this, but in Ableton you have to take an extra step to get the sound output through the speakers. You need to adjust the preferences in Ableton to be output through the DDJ-SX instead of the onboard soundcard.

Let me know if this works, sounds like you may have already tried something similar.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

System Prefrences > Sound

• Click on Output
    • Choose your SX in the list as the sound card

Sound "Might" only come out of the Primary SX output (which could end up being be the headphone port) if so:

Applications > utilities > Audio Midi Setup.

In the menubar:

Window > Show Audio Window (may already be open)

• Click the Sx in the Device list
    • Click on output
    • Click on configure speakers
    • Try the various outputs from the drop down until you hear white noise from your speakers when you click front right / front left

Click Apply and you should be set.
    Last edited by deevey; 01-06-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Tech Convert

Thank you both!

The sound in the menu bar tricked work, but I had no idea about the audio MIDI setup application. That allowed me to fine tune things.

Thanks much!