Windows 8.1 Bug Fix?

Default Windows 8.1 Bug Fix?

Hi, so just wondering if anyone here had any suggestions. I have a Stanton SCS3 set up (Yeah I know, but it looked fun...) and the other day when I updated to Windows 8.1 it simply stopped working. Basically I fire up VDJ7 as per normal but as soon as I plug in my controller via the USB lead it crashes VDJ and everything closes down. Oh what fun

So I wrote to VDJ who breifly replied saying that they felt sorry for me but it was nothing to do with them... Good job I paid a premium for their excellent customer services... I've written to the ghostly dead Stanton forums and possibly sometime in the next couple of years someone may answer my query. I've looked around the official Windows pages and whilst there are a few people moaning about 8.1 breaking their midi set ups the official line seems to be "no it's not"

So I thought I would try here and see if any of you can help. Anyone know a fix for midi problems with 8.1 or will I just have to wait and hope that one day a random update will fix a problem that no one seems to want to acknowledge exists?

Tech Guru

Strange, as the SCS.3 controllers are class compliant, but try this...

http://www.benryves.com/products/vistamidi

Yes, I know it's old. Download it and run it as administrator (even if you think you're already running as an admin). Let us know if that fixes your issue.

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't work but any help is much appreciated.

I thought it was odd too about it being class compliant. Doesn't that mean the controller itself isn't really running any software, it just is? (As far as my feeble tech brain understands these things!)

Windows did an update sometime yesterday and I now am getting a new error message after VDJ has crashed and closed down, a little pop up in the bottom right says something like
    "the last usb device you connected was not recognised and did not work correctly so shut down" or words to that effect. Have not been able to get the error message to come back so wording is from memory.
    The issue is something to do with Windows 8.1 and the way it deals with the USB ports... as to the solution....????

Oh yes, worth noting that if I leave the controller plugged in but doing nothing it continually switches itself on and off, going through its firing up sequence (Pretty lights everywhere!) and then after 30 seconds or so disconnecting itself then repeating.

Tech Guru

Oh yes, worth noting that if I leave the controller plugged in but doing nothing it continually switches itself on and off, going through its firing up sequence (Pretty lights everywhere!) and then after 30 seconds or so disconnecting itself then repeating.
    Yes, this is what you should have started with.

That behavior indicates a bus reset, which is something different. Is this the same computer as before, and all you did was upgrade the OS to 8.1? Specifically what computer is it (model and manufacturer)? Do you have USB 3.0 ports? And did you do a "clean" install of the new OS (format drive and install new OS fresh), or just an "upgrade" install?

Also if you have a powered USB hub, have you tried plugging the SCS.3 into the hub instead of directly into the computer?

Hi NemOnic

ok, the laptop is a Samsung 550P laptop which was pre-installed with windows 8 ie no disc as far as I remember and I did an upgrade install rather than a full wipe. It is the same laptop that worked with the device previously. I have two USB3's and 2 USB 2's and the problem happens with all of them. I don't have a separate powered USB hub but the SCS3 is it's own powered USB hub as I understand, or rather the SCSM mixing unit is, and only runs off a wall socket, the two SCSd's then plug into that via USB.

Some things to try.

Try a different USB cable. Even though the last worked, it's a quick test and I've had cables work one day and then not the next.

In device manager you can go in and delete the USB devices. You need to have some use about windows to do this but it has fixed issues for me in the past.

Bios update would be next on my list along with checking you all your drivers are up to date since the upgrade.

If all that fails, turn logic on its head and try a hub. Slim chance but it might create a new logical USB device that works.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Hi Smitten

Tried the change of cable as you're right, you never no! But alas, not this time. Got this error message which I've seen a few times, since a minor 8.1 update yesterday.

"The last USB device connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows does not recognise it.
    Recommendation
    Try reconnecting your device. If Windows still does not recognise it your device may not be working properly"

Obviously I don't think there's any failing with the device itself, it's new, failed immediately on the update and besides has almost no moving parts! Sure this is to do with the USB stuff in 8.1, as other midi users have had similar problems.

The driver for the USB that's problematic (according to windows support people) is this one.

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller 0100 (Microsoft)

I've searched for updates but it says it is updated.

Thanks for the help btw, any suggestions or advice are much appreciated
    Bios you say.... hmmm... really beyond my level.... what would I have to do?