Switching from VDJ to Traktor - Help?

Default Switching from VDJ to Traktor - Help?

Hi,

I'm new to the forums but have been DJing on VDJ Pro 7 for quite some time now. I use a Mixtrack Pro II and have made some great mixes in the past, and DJ pretty well at house parties (have received some great feedback).

I'm managing well and definitely get the job done, however I still feel like a beginner using this software, and am a little worried I've become quite reliant on the overlapping waveform bar at the top (I know, it's embarrassing). I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get out of this habit and switch to Traktor Pro? Should I switch at all if I'm coping well on VDJ, even if I'm almost relying on the waveform bar?

Whenever I try and use traktor I just feel clueless, like a beginner. My beat matching skills aren't too good, and I really am struggling to use this software. Whenever I have a gig, I use VDJ because I feel as though I'm not good enough on traktor, and this really doesn't help any progress I've made in the time before!

Any help is appreciated,

thanks!

Tech Mentor

Practice, practice, practice I used to use VDJ and made the switch to Traktor almost a year ago.
    I love Traktor and once you get used to it, it really is quite easy. That being said there is nothing wrong with VDJ, I know a few DJ's that use it and use it well. Don't be embarrassed to use what you feel comfortable with, use VDJ while giging until you get used to Traktor.
    Youtube is a good place to start for Traktor tutorials.

that's why traktor has the phase meters just above the waveforms. It's pretty easy to learn the basics of traktor in a week or so.

but VDJ8 will be out in a couple of months which will have literally every feature that has been suggested in the Traktor 3 thread and then some, what is known so far is: timeline; great sampler with unlimited banks, sample editor, up to 99 samples per bank; video; video fx; video samples; flexible beatgrid; full itunes integration; filter folders; VST; DMX; cue point events; modular skins and a much better mapping system.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

you can cover the waveforms with a piece of paper if you think that' s your problem

or in VDJ you can edit the skin xml to remove the waves completely or put them on a panel that you can hide at the touch of a button, You really do need the waves though as that's the only place the cue points properly show up. or you could change the layout to split the waves. djdad from atomix usually adds different waves layouts to his skins that you can download from the forum. Phantom dj's CDS4 actually has panels to remove the waves and shift the entire skin upwards to show more browser.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    that's why traktor has the phase meters just above the waveforms. It's pretty easy to learn the basics of traktor in a week or so.

but VDJ8 will be out in a couple of months which will have literally every feature that has been suggested in the Traktor 3 thread and then some, what is known so far is: timeline; great sampler with unlimited banks, sample editor, up to 99 samples per bank; video; video fx; video samples; flexible beatgrid; full itunes integration; filter folders; VST; DMX; cue point events; modular skins and a much better mapping system.
    Sounds cool. Will it have an isolated EQ effects? And modifiers?

don't know about isolated effects although there as a couple of user created ones for download.

You can already declare as many modifiers/variables as you like in VDJ with as many values to that name. eg traktor has 8 modifiers each with 8 values. VDJ has no limits so you could effectively have as many layers to your controller as you desire, and with the commands "param_equal, param_smaller, param_greater, param_multiply, param_add, param_invert, param_pingpong" you will get precise control over your macro knobs, and lose the horrible load time traktor has when you have multiple mappers for the same controller.