Need help finding a mixer for a wicked Ableton Live performance rig
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help finding a mixer for a wicked Ableton Live performance rig

OK! So, I'm in the process of setting up a very cool Ableton Live performance rig. It's closely related to the ill.Gates templates if any of you are familiar! I'm running into some issues.

Basically, I am looking for a 4 CHANNEL mixer with MIDI and a sound card. Very importantly I need the SLIDERS to have midi capabilities. Not just some MIDI buttons here and there

I'm trying to route 4 Ableton channel through the 4 channels of a mixer, BUT, I don't have the money to afford a ginormous interface to handle cabling each port into the mixer. So, I need a mixer with a soundcard, 4 channels, and MIDI capability so that I can control the 4 Ableton channels via MIDI.

And before you say anything, no, I don't want an APC40. I am totally willing to just get a nice 4 channel MIDI controller and an external soundcard, but I would MUCH rather prefer having it all in one in a nice mixer.

Some more info: I'm launching clips and manipulating effects from a TriggerFinger and mixing them via this external mixer that I'm looking for.

tl;dr: Looking for a great 4 CHANNEL MIXER with MIDI capabilities. Or a great 4 channel midi mixer that is cheap enough to pair with a soundcard.

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by gnargnar; 01-04-2014 at 03:23 PM.

American Audio 14MXR If you want something relatively cheap.

Xone DB4

Tech Mentor

Denon X1600.
    I use a Z2, but if I needed 4 channels, that would be my first port of call

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

How about a Xone DX ?

I know, I know - not strictly a mixer, but certainly feels more mixer than controller and you have that gorgeous 20ch A&H sound card if you need more S/R. They can also be picked up for around $500 at this stage.

DJM850.

I absolutely love mine. I'm familiar with the ILL Gates stuff - awesome Ableton templates.

But, to be completely honest, I've moved away from I've (for performance) now that we have Remix Decks on Traktor...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

It's also worth mentioning I'm looking for something very CHEAP. As basic as it gets!

So, if there is a good controller + soundcard combo option, i'd be open to it as well. Thanks!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    DJM850.
    BUT, I don't have the money to afford a ginormous interface to handle cabling each port into the mixer.
    I'm guessing the DJM is probably out of budget - I know if I was spending that much on a mixer for Ableton use I'd pick up a A&H 4D

To the OP: any chance of letting us know what exactly is your budget ?

Tech Mentor

What about the Xone K2?

It doesn't have a four channel sound card, but you could mix internally in Ableton, using the K2's faders and use the K2 sound card to the clubs sound system/mixer.

Tech Wizard

You're missing the point regarding mixing in Ableton

By doing so (via MIDI faders) you negate the need for a multi-channel soundcard as it's all done internally and you only need a stereo output into the clubs mixer

I'd actually recommend a Steinberg CMC-FD to get around the faders being in the wrong positions as you dial down into the mix coupled with a NI Audio 2 as your soundcard

Lightweight. Takes up next to no room. Good sound quality

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast