no photos at the moment, but i can say that my recent deal has been a mackie 1642 for $110CAD,
My most frugal thing(s) I think are going to be my custom midi controllers, midifighter buttons and layout and whatever else I feel like bolting in there, it's going to be almost as good as any gear out there, I just have to write the code to make it do exactly what I want :-) I can currently drop any combination of buttons, encoders and pots into a box, it's expandable via ttl serial too.
Next up will be making a midifighter using the djtechtools open source firmware and expanding on that, it really could do with encoder support along with midi input and maybe double the button count to make a monster-midi-fighter Now that's frugal.....
Not sure if this counts but I use Longboard wheels as a laptop stand and skateboard trucks as speaker monitors >_>
Most of the good deals I've had have been on production, but let's see I've had:
- vestax pdx2000 on eBay for like 120. Guy had it listed as broken/for parts. It was perfectly functional it only had a broken foot, which isn't even an issue as it rests stable on the foot.
- ecler nuo 2 on eBay for a hundo.
- elektron machinedrum for 600. Again eBay.
- got a huge rotary speaker cabinet for 50 on eBay. Paid more in shipping then I did on the cab, I think I only got it as cheap as I did because the seller mislisted it categorized as a synth. Wish I still had it, sold it for 300 to pay bills.
- Roland jx3p and jx8p 50 a piece. Still pretty salty that I sold them, haven't seen one for under 300 in years.
- my mpc1000 I paid like 250 for. The membranes on a lot of the buttons were broken. It cost 15 to buy new buttons and like 20 minutes to replace them. If you can do the most basic repairs you can save a lot of money by buying stuff people are too lazy or dumb to bother fixing. Buttons and LCD screens are usually pretty easy fixes
I feel like there's more but whatever, these leap out of my memory as some of the better deals I've had
raw unedited beat tape jams - http://soundcloud.com/bluntedcircuit