How frugal are you?! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

no photos at the moment, but i can say that my recent deal has been a mackie 1642 for $110CAD,

How about this for frugal? Instead of paying 39.99 for a f1 and such, I made my own. let me know what you think.
    Last edited by tekki; 07-08-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Tech Mentor

My most frugal thing(s) I think are going to be my custom midi controllers, midifighter buttons and layout and whatever else I feel like bolting in there, it's going to be almost as good as any gear out there, I just have to write the code to make it do exactly what I want :-) I can currently drop any combination of buttons, encoders and pots into a box, it's expandable via ttl serial too.

Next up will be making a midifighter using the djtechtools open source firmware and expanding on that, it really could do with encoder support along with midi input and maybe double the button count to make a monster-midi-fighter Now that's frugal.....

Not sure if this counts but I use Longboard wheels as a laptop stand and skateboard trucks as speaker monitors >_>
    Current Set Up: Denon DN X1600, 2x Kontrol X1 MK1, Traktor Kontrol F1, Macbook Pro, Traktor Pro 2 LIVE & LET RAVE
    SoundCloud YouTube

Most of the good deals I've had have been on production, but let's see I've had:
    - vestax pdx2000 on eBay for like 120. Guy had it listed as broken/for parts. It was perfectly functional it only had a broken foot, which isn't even an issue as it rests stable on the foot.
    - ecler nuo 2 on eBay for a hundo.
    - elektron machinedrum for 600. Again eBay.
    - got a huge rotary speaker cabinet for 50 on eBay. Paid more in shipping then I did on the cab, I think I only got it as cheap as I did because the seller mislisted it categorized as a synth. Wish I still had it, sold it for 300 to pay bills.
    - Roland jx3p and jx8p 50 a piece. Still pretty salty that I sold them, haven't seen one for under 300 in years.
    - my mpc1000 I paid like 250 for. The membranes on a lot of the buttons were broken. It cost 15 to buy new buttons and like 20 minutes to replace them. If you can do the most basic repairs you can save a lot of money by buying stuff people are too lazy or dumb to bother fixing. Buttons and LCD screens are usually pretty easy fixes

I feel like there's more but whatever, these leap out of my memory as some of the better deals I've had

Back from the dead, just got a DDJ-SX a couple of weeks back in perfect condition for $500

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalQw3rty View Post
    Not sure if this counts but I use Longboard wheels as a laptop stand and skateboard trucks as speaker monitors >_>
    Heck yes that counts, I would love to see this, any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    If you can do the most basic repairs you can save a lot of money by buying stuff people are too lazy or dumb to bother fixing. Buttons and LCD screens are usually pretty easy fixes
    Dude, truer words have never been spoken

Tech Mentor

Mint 1200's for $540 Aus which were listed badly and passed in on Ebay, they had been used as props at a advertising agency.

Tech Mentor

Love this thread so I had to spread my steals.

Numark ttx - $65 of off eBay, seller assumed the turntables were broken but the platter wasn't on all the way.

Numark tt500 - $45 of eBay, just an amazing deal. The right place at the right time.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I've been working the "trade-up" angle the past few items, $100 purchase in november has blossomed into a EMU XL-7 in the space of 3 trades.

Win!

Other cheapy purchases include

$80 Edifier Studio Monitors
    $77 for a Pair of Sony 7506 headphones
    $45 for Behringer 302USB soundcard/mixer
    $1 each for 2 Angry Birds USB hubs (with power inputs)
    Last edited by deevey; 07-08-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast