2i2 + Mixer - How to make it work?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default 2i2 + Mixer - How to make it work?

I already have a Focusrite 2i2 and a pair of DT880 headphones, but I want to buy monitors in the near future and something just came into my mind.... The monitors only have one input each and the audio interface has 2 line inputs, so In order to use the same studio monitors for my notebook AND the Mixer (CDJs + Mixer) will I have to turn the notebook on everytime to play with the CDJs? (supposing I am going to plug the output of the mixer in the input of the audio interface)
    If yes, how can I bypass this problem?

Thanks
    Last edited by Daniboy; 01-20-2014 at 07:10 PM.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Tech Guru

Buy monitors with more than one input?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

I want to buy ADAM monitors and they all come with only one input (at least the ones I've seen)
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Tech Guru

Maybe this will do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-...-channel+mixer

any better ideas?

doesn't the audio interface connect to the laptop thru a usb cable?
    you connect your laptop (via usb), monitor(via RCA to line output) the inputs are xlr. so if you want to connect an instrument, a microphone, use xlr to trs.

of you want to try it out, find a xlr to rca and connect it to the output of the mixer (one set for each channel). haven't seen a 2i2 connected to a dj mixer, though.

if you want to use the cdj and mixers connected to the laptop, better get either traktor audio 4/6/8/10 or ssl 2/3/4
    or just cdjs and mixers, just plug the monitor to the mixer via rca to rca cables.
    Last edited by arsman; 01-20-2014 at 10:16 PM.
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    I want to buy ADAM monitors and they all come with only one input (at least the ones I've seen)
    Adam monitors, dependant on which ones, come with RCA and XLR input on the X series

F series have XLR/Jack combo and RCA input

As has been said, audio to soundcard will be through USB, so output of soundcard to Speakers
    Then output of mixer to speakers.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    Adam monitors, dependant on which ones, come with RCA and XLR input on the X series

F series have XLR/Jack combo and RCA input

As has been said, audio to soundcard will be through USB, so output of soundcard to Speakers
    Then output of mixer to speakers.
    Yes I want to buy F series, but there is only one input on the back of the speakers ( its the same type of the instrument input of the 2i2, a XLR/TRS that will accept both, but only one of them at a time)
    How am I going to get the output of the soundcard AND the output of the mixer to the only-one input of the speakers?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    Yes I want to buy F series, but there is only one input on the back of the speakers ( its the same type of the instrument input of the 2i2, a XLR/TRS that will accept both, but only one of them at a time)
    How am I going to get the output of the soundcard AND the output of the mixer to the only-one input of the speakers?
    Adam F5 has the XLR and RCA so it has two inputs.

So you will be able to run both
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

BUy a little behringer mixer, like Daniboy said. I have one, and it works great.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

So after a quick google.

So you 2i2 has TRS outputs, run this in to the combo input on the Adam's

Run your mixer from RCA into the RCA inputs on the Adam's

No extra equipment needed, just cables.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast