New Pioneer DDJ-SZ

Default New Pioneer DDJ-SZ

Saw this over at digitaldjtips.

This looks like some serious hardware. Hefty price tag but what ever the cost you are getting a lot for your money!

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2014/01...ller-launched/
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Wizard

I like this controller and think it will possibly be great but dont know how practical it will be for mobile djs. 2000 dollars is crazy for a dj controller.

Because there is already a long going thread in General forum I decided to post these pic I made that compares the size of the DDJ SZ to other setups
    DVS setups
    DDJ-SZ + Reloop RP8000
    ddjsz_Vinyl1.jpg
    DDJ-SZ + Reloop RP8000 Battlestyle
    ddjsz_Vinyl2.jpg
    DDJ-SZ + CDJ2000
    dvs_cdj.jpg

DDJ-SZ <> 2 CDJ2000 + DJM900 SRT
    piocompair2.jpg
    DDJ-SZ <> SX SR SB
    pioneer_compair.jpg
    DDJ-SZ <> NS7II
    sz_ns7.jpg
    DDJ-SZ <> S4 S2
    ddjsz_S4.jpg
    Last edited by dj gullum; 01-24-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Wizard

That definitely gives you a better perspective of just how big this is thank you for the pics

Thanks for the image comparisons.
    I linked this post over at the Serato forum so peeps can get
    an idea of how the SZ will look next to their other gear.
    A&H Xone:96, (2) X Pioneer CDJ-2000nxs2, Bozure ISO-201, (2) X Technics MK5, "TEIL1" (Delay Pedal), Strymon "Blue Sky" (Reverb Pedal), Ableton Push 2, A&H Xone:K2, (2) X Shure M44-7 w' Ortofon SH-4 Headshells, V-Moda Crossfade LP2, Crates & Crates of Vinyl, 2011 & 2012 Macbook Pros - (2) X SSD/16GB RAM for both machines |
    https://soundcloud.com/risquedj

Tech Mentor

mobile dj'ing... i think it would be great for me. i don't have to lug around 2 heavy technics turntables and $2000 rane mixer. glad to see there's a controller that doesn't look like a toy
    2 Technics M5Gs - 4 Technics mk2s - Novation Dicers - Rane Sixty-two - Monster Beats By Dre. Pro - KrK Rokit 6s - Avid Mini box - Pro Tools - Pioneer DDJ SX - Novation Twitch

It will be worth it once the price drops about 500. I dig it, but with the small amount of additions from the ddjsx, its not worth it to me.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    It will be worth it once the price drops about 500. I dig it, but with the small amount of additions from the ddjsx, its not worth it to me.
    I guess (2) soundcards, DVS support, Colour EFX, adjustable tension jogs & crossfader are small additions, haha.
    All that for $1,750 ain't bad at all!
    A&H Xone:96, (2) X Pioneer CDJ-2000nxs2, Bozure ISO-201, (2) X Technics MK5, "TEIL1" (Delay Pedal), Strymon "Blue Sky" (Reverb Pedal), Ableton Push 2, A&H Xone:K2, (2) X Shure M44-7 w' Ortofon SH-4 Headshells, V-Moda Crossfade LP2, Crates & Crates of Vinyl, 2011 & 2012 Macbook Pros - (2) X SSD/16GB RAM for both machines |
    https://soundcloud.com/risquedj

Tech Guru

It basically has the SL4($900) built in on top of all the additional controller functions, so that's probably a large part of the cost.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

I think you mean DJM-SRT900, but yeah, same idea. I think once I get a new job, and after I sell my car, I'll be purchasing this. I was going to be selling all my gear (technics, Denon dn-x1600) and traktor and moving over to the ddj-sx as it was. I'm really glad I heard about this before making the jump. It's exactly what I've been asking for (almost - Track info display a la the CDJ-2k nxs on a controller would be awesome because I hate staring at my damn computer, but whatever, it's a pipe dream, I know) at the perfect price point (3-3.5 grand less than a 2 deck CDJ2k/djm900 setup).

I wonder if Pio will make modular deck controls for a full 4 deck setup without having to purchase CDJs, and they can just lock them down so you can only use them with another controller attached, or more specifically, just with the SZ. I mean w/ sync you don't REALLY need to worry about having immediate control of all 4 decks at once (or being buggered with soft-takeover of pitch control), but again, just another fantasy of mine I suppose. Maybe if they upgrade serato remote to show the browser w/ track info on an iPad...hmmm...yeah...they should do that.

Can someone explain to me how the A/B-->C/D works in terms of pitch control on the ddj-sx? It's been ages since I've used an all-in one, and even with my S4, was playing mostly shiite mainstream prog. and not the tech-house/techno I play now, so never really bothered using more than 2 decks.

sorry if I'm a bit jumpy, heh, too much sugar today I guess.