Whats next for Traktor!!? Miles behind in controller market now! - Page 10
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by atontheproton View Post
    Just got the s2 a little bit ago for portability, had the s4 a couple years back .. s2 tons better, doesn't beat the feel of a tt or even a cdj though.
    Does anything?
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

that denon cdj with the vinyl platter sortof does

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    I'm not even convinced that integrating further with NI's production hardware is even something the market really wants.
    So true.

The thing is that 99% of DJs had everything they could ever want/need from their equipment years ago.
    The industry keeps coming up with new stuff as they have to to grow their business but the reality is that it's really not needed by the vast majority of users.

I really like the F1 and the remix decks, but I think NI need to push it and support it better. Have you seen the remix packs that are officially available? It's a pathetic selection. NI need to get together with decent labels and really push it if they want more DJs to start using the remix decks.
    Also they could do a much better job of educating the market in how to use them with tutorial vids etc, which they aren't doing at all right now. I think most people who buy an F1 and then sell it do so because they found it hard to work out what they should be doing with it and how to get decent results out of it.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    If all the beginner controllers are Serato native, and Serato DJ is decent, where's the incentive to switch when upgrading to better hardware (which will likely be Serato native too)?
    I think this is what should have NI worried right now.
    If you're a beginner looking to buy a controller + software then you only have an S2 on the Traktor side versus a whole load of choices on the Serato side, many of which are much cheaper and/or better value than the S2.
    And once someone starts off with one software package I think it's usual they continue using it rather than make the switch.
    Yes NI have Traktor DJ to lure in new users, but since that's iOS only I think it cuts out a big section of the market, and I also think there's a lot of people out there who don't take iPad seriously as DJ hardware so wouldn't consider it.

1. Yes my S4 does everything I want it too and a little bit more I love it.

2. My S4 is now over 3 years old and looking and feeling very tired so do I go and buy a another one!? Of course not I may as well look at other possiblitys and at the moment NI has the MK2 version that is pretty much unchanged from the MK1 so for me its not an option with so many other tasty new products coming out.

3. Come on be honest guys we've all played on Pioneer through the years and many do hate but gotta admit its always sturdy reliable and comfortable to work on.

4.If the SZ was Traktor and not serato I could probly see this thread
    sounding very different.

5.Who ever said controllers had to be portable!!? The can be what the fuk they want!

6.I'll admit saying miles behind was a but crazy but they do need to get a move on my S4 is literally falling to bits its worked its are off!
    Last edited by hoothoot81; 01-27-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Honestly a DJM 900 + X1 mk2 and TSP with technics feels like the best way to use traktor IMO.

[my set up basically :-) PICS HERE http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=73231 ]

Pro pio feel, external mixer but easy plug and play with traktor... tech 12s for that old skool feel and X1 for nice traktor interaction.

And I got An Audio 10 for playing out or my S2 for house parties etc.

As sweet as all the pio controllers look they aren't making want to change my set up and leave Traktor.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Paco Loco View Post
    So true.

The thing is that 99% of DJs had everything they could ever want/need from their equipment years ago.
    The industry keeps coming up with new stuff as they have to to grow their business but the reality is that it's really not needed by the vast majority of users.

I really like the F1 and the remix decks, but I think NI need to push it and support it better. Have you seen the remix packs that are officially available? It's a pathetic selection. NI need to get together with decent labels and really push it if they want more DJs to start using the remix decks.
    Also they could do a much better job of educating the market in how to use them with tutorial vids etc, which they aren't doing at all right now. I think most people who buy an F1 and then sell it do so because they found it hard to work out what they should be doing with it and how to get decent results out of it.
    Mark over at DJworx talked about something similar:

"But here’s the thing — for the most part, DJs are only required to play A to B and repeat until the lights are switched off. And as each DJ wants to take a step beyond this process, thus the feature set needs to expand, but the market narrows a little. Every DJ needs to play tracks, and have volume control. Most probably use EQ, but not every DJ uses loops, hot cues or effects. Even less will use samples, and a bare minimum will use things like remix decks or video. So with each creep forward, the path narrows. Adding new features means preaching to a smaller crowd, which is not good when the industry needs to make money more than ever."

I completely agree with you and Mark. We already have the fundamental tools to rock a party. The irony is that the DJ wants the new features but a lot of crowds are indifferent. We as DJ's can also be selfish and look only at our wants and what we think is cool without even talking to the market and asking, "Do you care about video? How important are remixes to you? What about 4 deck mixing"?

I think the reason why incredible tools such as the F1 or the Bridge haven't caught on is because there isn't really a system to use them. The fundamentals of DJing (phrase matching, beatmatching, eqing, A-B mixing) have been around for a long time and all DJ's are familiar with it. It's a system that all DJ's understand and the crowd enjoys it. If you went up to any DJ and said "Hey do a simple mix from this to this." They'd probably wait for a good mix in point, do some eqing, fade over to the next track. This system of mixing can be easily learned and repeated. From the audience standpoint this system is how they recognize a DJ (they still don't know what you're doing but they know you mix songs). No matter where they go to see a DJ, this system carries over and they expect it to be the same because at a basic level all DJ's can follow this.

Now try ask someone using an F1 or the Bridge to do a mix and you'd get a variety of results. This is both good and bad. Good because people can come up with their own ways to use these tools, but bad because there is no fundamentals or foundation to rely on. I agree with you again, I think the F1 and remix decks are awesome. But i've had mine since they launched and I still haven't found an effective system for using them. NI is in a unique position where they can gather artist feedback on what they feel is working/not working with the remix decks/F1. Having some tutorials that show some practical use would be awesome, or show how to create your own Maschine content that can be loaded in. Once they have a foundation or simple system for using the remix decks then people can branch out from there and make it their own. Without a system it's way too easy to get lost and ask yourself "what the hell do I do with this thing?"

To further prove my point that people are at a loss for what to do with these tools, check this video from the Bridge announcement. I don't think i've seen any of these artists make use of the Bridge. I was expecting crazy things from Jazzy Jeff.

Last edited by rdej47; 01-28-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Honestly a DJM 900 + X1 mk2 and TSP with technics feels like the best way to use traktor IMO.

This.

I simplified my set up a couple of weeks ago, selling my midifighters etc. It's now TSP, Z2 mixer, a pair of 1210's, X1 and and F1.

OK, the F1 might not be seen as simplification but it's mainly running effects rather than remix decks - the remix decks for me are under used and under utilised. You mess around making some samples and not using them much.

One direction I think is wrong with remix decks is the way they have went with remix deck sets, the content is generally limited in what it does and is way to expensive for what you get.

NI could do with making an effort to release some inspiring free remix content via Service Centre, they have made no effort to do this since the first batch of content at the launch of the F1.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by anteater32 View Post
    This.

I simplified my set up a couple of weeks ago, selling my midifighters etc. It's now TSP, Z2 mixer, a pair of 1210's, X1 and and F1.

OK, the F1 might not be seen as simplification but it's mainly running effects rather than remix decks - the remix decks for me are under used and under utilised. You mess around making some samples and not using them much.

One direction I think is wrong with remix decks is the way they have went with remix deck sets, the content is generally limited in what it does and is way to expensive for what you get.

NI could do with making an effort to release some inspiring free remix content via Service Centre, they have made no effort to do this since the first batch of content at the launch of the F1.
    Since I moved from Serato to Traktor about 6 months ago, I've tried everything I can think of to incorporate Remix Decks into my playing in some useful way.

I found that even with the improved mapping recently, the only way to REALLY use RDs comfortably is with the F1. Thankfully I had one on a long term loan from a friend (who, guess what, wasn't getting any use out of it).

I tried pre-made remix sets; didn't really do it for me, I mix quickly and don't really want to piss about with a single track for that long. As remix decks are really only useful in a 4 deck setup, I find that I have enough decks available if I want to extend an outro or something.

I tried building my own sets with loops and samples; cool, but unless you have tons of sets, it gets too repetitive when playing 4-6 hours as I usually do. Plus I found that all that prep work removes a level of spontaneity for me.

So I tried capturing loops on the fly with it; cool, but again, with 4 decks on the go, I don't really feel the need. Maybe if I played minimal techno...

As posters have said above, NI needs to educate people on how these things can really enhance a set, and even offer resources to help.

I REALLY wanted to use them. But that F1 has gone back to my friend, and I really don't miss it.

Tech Mentor

I would just add that this was even more of a disappointment for me, as when Serato launched the Bridge, I was ALL OVER it, but felt like it was way too restricted (no live capture, no scratching). Obviously that was thoroughly underused, hence it being dropped a while back.

To then use Remix Decks, which overcome most of that, and still find no decent workflow, was gutting.