Whats next for Traktor!!? Miles behind in controller market now! - Page 11
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Since I have my main setup around a serato dj controller I honestly don't have a use for traktor I have contemplated buying something that is catered to the traktor workflow but I can't justify since I'm happy with the serato dj workflow... That said if I could if gladly goto z2 and 2 x1 but I'm not sure how I feel about djing on just an x1... Owning one and having used it for full control I know it's possible but I feel more restricted then with platters....

Now that that's out of the way... The DDJ-SZ Looks great from the feature list has a lot of pros but it's not portable.. This won't appeal to a large amount of people who want to gig it ever bar and club they do. For me it'd look great in my living room and would love it.. Would enjoy going into a club and finding that along side 2 cdjs. Pioneer is trying to get clubs to use it as a flagship.. Much like they did with the djm600 and cdj1000

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    I REALLY wanted to use them. But that F1 has gone back to my friend, and I really don't miss it.
    Quite sad to hear you say this! If you can't find a good use for it then I have no chance

Interestingly I read something online somewhere recently where the author was saying they really missed the old sample decks and used to use them all the time, but couldn't get into the remix decks. I wonder if there's a lot of people out there who feel the same way.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    Since I moved from Serato to Traktor about 6 months ago, I've tried everything I can think of to incorporate Remix Decks into my playing in some useful way.

I found that even with the improved mapping recently, the only way to REALLY use RDs comfortably is with the F1. Thankfully I had one on a long term loan from a friend (who, guess what, wasn't getting any use out of it).

I tried pre-made remix sets; didn't really do it for me, I mix quickly and don't really want to piss about with a single track for that long. As remix decks are really only useful in a 4 deck setup, I find that I have enough decks available if I want to extend an outro or something.

I tried building my own sets with loops and samples; cool, but unless you have tons of sets, it gets too repetitive when playing 4-6 hours as I usually do. Plus I found that all that prep work removes a level of spontaneity for me.

So I tried capturing loops on the fly with it; cool, but again, with 4 decks on the go, I don't really feel the need. Maybe if I played minimal techno...

As posters have said above, NI needs to educate people on how these things can really enhance a set, and even offer resources to help.

I REALLY wanted to use them. But that F1 has gone back to my friend, and I really don't miss it.
    Hey Mojaxx, I couldn't empathize with you more haha. I've tried using the remix decks in a very similar way and felt the exact same frustrations as you.

The Remix Decks workflow is so different from the typical DJ workflow. It definitely requires a lot more prep time and it's definitely harder to come up with creative ways to use them on the fly. If you use them on the fly your often stuck creating loops that get repetitive then you have to find a way to either build it up into something or get out of it and back into a normal track. I think my next plan is to try and use them as more of a bridge between tracks. We can crack the system!

I spent some time recently working on a mapping to make use of the remix decks to capture and work with loops.
    I felt like it was easier to do this on the fly with Sample Decks, but not anymore.

It would be an awesome and easy update if the sample decks were more geared towards live-recorded loops.
    Fixing stuff that isn't broken.

Quote Originally Posted by anteater32 View Post
    This.

I simplified my set up a couple of weeks ago, selling my midifighters etc. It's now TSP, Z2 mixer, a pair of 1210's, X1 and and F1.

OK, the F1 might not be seen as simplification but it's mainly running effects rather than remix decks - the remix decks for me are under used and under utilised. You mess around making some samples and not using them much.

One direction I think is wrong with remix decks is the way they have went with remix deck sets, the content is generally limited in what it does and is way to expensive for what you get.

NI could do with making an effort to release some inspiring free remix content via Service Centre, they have made no effort to do this since the first batch of content at the launch of the F1.
    Substitute your Z2 for my Xone DB2, and we have the same setup. I love it.

I love the F1, and wouldn't mix without it. Maybe everyone is trying to get too complicated with it, but I just have a collection of loops (mostly drums) that I have loaded up in a Remix Set. It's constantly evolving depending on what I'm playing (and I'll save different versions along the way), and if I hear a loop I love in a song I steal it.

I have one channel on my DB2 dedicated to a remix deck, and I typically use a low pass filter to get rid of most of the bass. I then just layer in various loops to the mix as needed to maintain a consistent vibe. I use the DB2's effects to make the loops even more subtle. A simple drum loop will help bridge the transition between two seemingly incompatible songs. Playing with the delays/mashers/filters on the loops lets me get creative live without it sounding too obtrusive or changing the essence of the song. It seems like a lot of people are too heavy-handed with their F1 use. A little goes a long way.

Tech Guru

Plus 1 on the F1 and sample decks / remix decks, just can't work it into a set

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Honestly a DJM 900 + X1 mk2 and TSP with technics feels like the best way to use traktor IMO.
    You don't need an audio 10 if you have the djm 900 it is integrated traktor.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 01-29-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Fixed quote

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atontheproton View Post
    You don't need an audio 10 if you have the djm 900 it is integrated traktor.
    He said he has an Audio 10 for when he is using with his S2.

Max knows his stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    He said he has an Audio 10 for when he is using with his S2.

Max knows his stuff
    a10 to use with an s2 that has an internal soundcard? Sounds redundant.

I am not saying anyone doesn't know their stuff but you don't need an external soundcard for either the s2 or the 900 they both have internal cards to them.