thoughts on this modular setup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default thoughts on this modular setup?

Looks like the forums ate my first attempt to post this. Long story short, bought a twitch, couldn't get it to power on for anything so had to return it. Now I'm trying to figure out what to go with.

I want to keep cost down because my production setup sucks all my spare money and honestly the dj gear is just something to relax and have fun with. I doubt I'll ever have the skill to gig with it. But I also don't want to buy something that I'm just going to want to replace in a year or two (mixtrack) so i'm pretty sure I'm going modular. There's the added fun of getting to build midi the way I want, which I always enjoy in ableton.

I got this idea from a few of ean's recent videos where he uses two X1s and a mixer.

I'm thinking of getting two X1s and a behringer cmd mm-1.

The x1 seems to have great community support on the mapping side, and the mm-1 is really the only option I could find for my mixer section that wasn't an analogue mixer. 4 faders and 4 knobs for eq/filter seems like the necessities.

Does this sound like a good setup? Would it cover everything I need. I already own traktor pro 2 and the couple times I messed with it I found myself mostly interested in cue juggling and strange FX tricks. I'm obviously not experienced with DJ gear and am hoping for some opinions before I start buying these.

Tech Guru

You'll need a sound card.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

That is EXACTLY what my buddy uses. He's on the left:

Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    You'll need a sound card.
    Oh yeah forgot to mention I already have that covered, have several in the "studio" that I use with ableton.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    That is EXACTLY what my buddy uses. He's on the left:

Thank you for sharing, it was good to see it in action. i didn't have time to watch the whole thing but did enjoy what I watched. It must be hard to get things meshed right when working as a duo instead of alone.

What do you have there in your setup? it looks very similar.

Tech Convert

I really wish I could reply to my own thread, i have a lot of questions and have been waiting several days to reply here....

Tech Mentor

the other setup in the video is 2 x1s and a A&H K2 not sure what soundcard they are using but my guess would be syncing both machines via midi clock

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schmitt View Post
    I really wish I could reply to my own thread, i have a lot of questions and have been waiting several days to reply here....
    You should be able to post now, I approved all your posts.

DJ VANSKA (Chris, Left)
    - Two X1's with the out of the box mappings.
    - One MM-1 with a handmade mapping.
    - Focusrite 2i4 Soundcard.

PROF_STRANGEMAN (Ian, Right)
    - Two MidiFighter Pro's with a handmade mapping based off of "dSharps" mapping.
    - Two X1's with a custom donwloaded mapping that mirrors their functions for sake of logical symetry when on either side of a mixer.
    - One A&H K2 with a handmade mapping.
    - One RMX-1000 with custom preferences set through Rekordbox and saved to an SD Card. (Not in this video, but can be seen in use in VOL. 002 which can be found on that same YouTube channel.)
    - Focusrite 2i4 Soundcard.

HOW WE PLAY
    - "michael133" has it dead on. We each go from the sound card to the ZOOM H6 that we use to record and use the mix out to go to the mains and the monitor out to go to the sound reactive light we use to make things a little more interesting to watch. Between the Mac's there is an Ethernet cable. MY clock is sent over that cable to Chris' MacBook and hey presto. We are sync'd. It's where there is very little BPM changes that happen during these mixes, but we're also aiming for a very mechanical, precies sound so it works out. Pretty soon we will be getting an external MIDI Clock Gen and sending that over 5-pin to our respective sound cards so we fluctuate evenly.
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

How crucial is it to be modular? i wont lie, it does look pretty cool, by why not get 1 controller? then you wont run into the problem of so many cables connected to a laptop (which depending on your laptop, might cause conflicts), or usb hub (must be powered), you could even get one with a built in sound card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast