Performing live with Ableton?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question Performing live with Ableton?

Hey guys, I've been using Ableton for a little while, and separately using Traktor to DJ, but I paid a lot of money for the powerful Ableton, I now want to use it to perform live.

This is where I need help

My aim would be to play tracks that I've purchased through Ableton and be able to make use of the great send and return effects and other feature of Live. However, I can't decide on the best way to go about this..

My initial thoughts would be to spend a few hundered hours in the studio cutting up my tracks into sections so that I could play different sections of different songs through clip launching, then possibly also use EQing?

I would sell my Traktor S4 to buy an APC40 or something similar if I chose to go through with this method.

As I'm new to this, can you suggest any methods close to mine, or different ways that I hadn't thought of?

my main wish is really to be able to use Ableton to effectively DJ but have more control, and still be able to play other producers tracks from my library.
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E

Selling the S4 for an APC40 is the best way to go - then you'll need to get hold of soe KILLER Live Templates...

Check out iLL Gates website. He can sove your problem in a heartbeat.

The man is an Ableton GENIUS.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Selling the S4 for an APC40 is the best way to go - then you'll need to get hold of soe KILLER Live Templates...

Check out iLL Gates website. He can sove your problem in a heartbeat.

The man is an Ableton GENIUS.
    Yeah I'm just really not a fan of Traktor for some reason, I don't know what it is about it.. I wanted a way to use Ableton to play all of my tracks and give me control, then should I have to use decks in a club/someone's house etc, I'd just use Flash drives and play through the CDJs instead

I'll have a look at this site, see if there are any solutions for me, cheers for the tip
    K B R I D G E

http://vimeo.com/m/29932560

clip packs with illiam.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

My aim would be to play tracks that I've purchased through Ableton and be able to make use of the great send and return effects and other feature of Live. However, I can't decide on the best way to go about this..
    Yeah I'm just really not a fan of Traktor for some reason, I don't know what it is about it.. I wanted a way to use Ableton to play all of my tracks and give me control, then should I have to use decks in a club/someone's house etc, I'd just use Flash drives and play through the CDJs instead
    Set up your Cue channel to be the same as your Computer's master out and you can preview and then drag and drop directly from iTunes into Ableton clip slots.

Analyzing/warping only takes a few seconds for the majority of tracks.

No theres no need to have CDJ's as well in order to do this.

Alternatively you can just drag and drop ALL your tracks into Ableton and just scroll up an down the grid and use it like a playlist.
    Last edited by deevey; 01-24-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Set up your Cue channel to be the same as your Computer's master out and you can preview and then drag and drop directly from iTunes into Ableton clip slots.

Analyzing/warping only takes a few seconds for the majority of tracks.

No theres no need to have CDJ's as well in order to do this.

Alternatively you can just drag and drop ALL your tracks into Ableton and just scroll up an down the grid and use it like a playlist.
    I figure I'll load the first two "deck" channels with tracks that I will definitely want to play, then just make a folder in Ableton's browser and chuck all my tracks in there - even organise them further with genres etc!

My issue now is that I need help mapping the EQ to the controller, I need to be able to control the EQ of two channels simultaneously (is this possible? If so, how?) and where do you think the best location of the EQs would be? I was thinking the top right bank of four rotaries, could become a horizontal 3-band EQ with maybe the fourth rotary mapped to an Auto Filter for sweeps etc?
    K B R I D G E

Also, am I going to need an Audio Interface for playing live with this setup?

If I want to be able to monitor through headphones etc?
    K B R I D G E

I started to feel same way about Traktor, and as much as I like it, I find Ableton to be much more fun when mixing. When I DJ with Ableton, I slice each track into 5 clips:

Intro/Drum Loop
    Song Intro (not loop)
    Drop 1 (not loop)
    Drop END (not loop)
    Drop 2 (not loop)
    Outro/Drum Loop

This allows me to mix in/out easily, and get to all of the important parts of a track quickly. I'll usually have 2 duplicate channels of tracks, and then 2 other channels for extra drum loops and acapellas. Then you can do simple mashups and live "remixes".

Of course, this is how I do it, so it may not work for you. No matter what way you use Ableton, you should get an audio interface if you want to monitor with headphones.You can probably get the best bang for your buck with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Also, an APC40 is probably a good choice, since you can get full control in one controller.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

My issue now is that I need help mapping the EQ to the controller, I need to be able to control the EQ of two channels simultaneously (is this possible? If so, how?) and where do you think the best location of the EQs would be? I was thinking the top right bank of four rotaries, could become a horizontal 3-band EQ with maybe the fourth rotary mapped to an Auto Filter for sweeps etc?
    Where do you think the best location of the EQs would be? Because Honestly the only person that can answer that is YOU.

What help do you need with mapping? Ableton mapping is as simple as hitting ctrl(or cmd)+m, clicking an object and moving something on your controller.

I only use ableton for production and my APC as a mixer surface, but my preference for EQ is each channel ONLY has an EQ plugin so when you select a channel with the APC the device control section is always the same knobs controlling the same respective controls of each channels instance

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast