Cdj 850?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cdj 850?

Tech Wizard

Default Cdj 850?

so ive been using a laptop, X1 and mixer for a while and i love it but recently the hinge on the computer broke off and so now i cant close it.

That's the only problems i have with a complete digital setup. so im thinking of just getting 2 cdj 850's and use a USB flash drive from now on. I like the idea of cue..etc in recokordbox.

Anyone go from a Traktor setup to CDJs that can share their experience? Its large purchase for me so trying make up my mind. its that or a new laptop. I hate depending on my computer but its like $1400 for two. laptop or cdjs? Opinions?
    - 2 Gemini CDJ 700 - DJM 750 -

https://soundcloud.com/alfredclayton

Tech Mentor

There'll probably be 850NXS released within the next few months so I would wait for a bit... No verification of this but seeing how the 2000 and 900 just been updated to NXS-status I recon the 850 won't take that much longer anymore.

for the CDJ850 you need 2 USB drives because they can't be linked also the 850 don't have any hot cue buttons. but you can use memory points instead.
    Why not just get a new Laptop and continue using the setup you already have you get a really good computer for the price of 2 CDJ850
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Quote Originally Posted by dj gullum View Post
    for the CDJ850 you need 2 USB drives because they can't be linked also the 850 don't have any hot cue buttons. but you can use memory points instead.
    Why not just get a new Laptop and continue using the setup you already have you get a really good computer for the price of 2 CDJ850
    All he has is an X1, not much is invested there.

Get the CDJs and then fix your laptop later on, and then if you want you can upgrade to Scratch Pro and use timecode with the players. That's what I would do myself. I like having both options available.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dj gullum View Post
    That's probably what im gonna end up doing.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    All he has is an X1, not much is invested there.

Get the CDJs and then fix your laptop later on, and then if you want you can upgrade to Scratch Pro and use timecode with the players. That's what I would do myself. I like having both options available.

I have an audio 6 box which i honestly haven't used. its just sitting there.

Quote Originally Posted by alfredw1 View Post
    I have an audio 6 box which i honestly haven't used. its just sitting there.
    Is the hinge on your laptop that messed up? You'd need a brand new unit? If not just repair it and get some Js since yo already have the soundcard and Scratch pro.... You'd be able to bounce back and forth between setups whenever you'd like.

Tech Wizard

yeah its the hinge. cant move it either wise it will come completely loose. the computer still works fine. I can see it being a pain taking it with me anywhere. I just talked to someone that might be able to repair it. I appreciate your help. We'll see what happens. I was planning on getting a new computer this year anyway...

Tech Guru

Disregarding what CDJ you will buy, yes, it could be very fun to go from Traktor to CDJs.

I learned how to mix on CDJs, then started playing on Traktor at gigs, then got back to the CDJs, it was the best thing I did.

I personally don't like Rekordbox, so I don't use it, but by now it might be reliable enough (it definately wasn't some time ago).

Anyway, I believe you will need to practice more than if you were using Traktor, but after you get used to it, you will be a beast DJ!
    In seconds you will be playing and people will like it more than the guys who take 20 minutes to get all their gear plugged and working with the CDJs/Mixer.

If you need some tips for having a ultimate no-bug-no-glitch CDJ experience send me a PM
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Tech Mentor

I did this exactly when my last computer broke. It was okay for a while but became difficult to browse tracks. Both my players started glitching when browsing and I'd have to reset the units a couple times a night. I never got any answer back from Pioneer. The 850's are not really supported at all. I recently bought a new Macbook and now use the 850's with Traktor control CDs and it is very nice. I'd say the 850s would be OK if you are just having a few tracks on USB. Large libraries can suck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast